Professional PVC exhaust vent install: who to call?

The fireplace compamy suggestion is really good! I’ll call and KISS tomorrow… I tried to reach out to the HVAC company that installed my ductless mini split with “roof top dryer vent” but they really dug in, “why do you need a new dryer vent, you already have one” and I failed to convince them :frowning:

After the last computer fiasco, I made a root subdirectory called Docs and made sure that if I transferred only that I would not lose any working files. It was probably 300 gig or more in total but they did not notice it and did not transfer it. They did transfer the Documents folder that had almost nothing and the desktop page that had all the icons (without the icons) and referenced the exe programs that they did not transfer.

my experience with venting outside:

1 Like

Wow…they must not have wanted the job. Why would they care why as long as they got paid.

3 Likes

Thanks! I saw your post when I was looking into solutions and it was very informative. Unfortunately I have to go up 1 more floor so I think I will want an outdoor-rated fan like the radon ones instead of hijacking my cloudline. (The manometer is pretty cool too, will have to ask for it or add it in myself!)

I think they were going to turn down the dryer vent thing no matter what but really hammered it in, looked through my file on-hand very thoroughly /: they are too busy installing actual HVAC systems I suppose

You’re running into the realities of the current economy. There is a massive shortage of willing workers across every industry, around the globe. The ones that are working for reputable companies aren’t going to waste their time on a small job like this when there’s no shortage of “real work” to keep them busy.

However, there are plenty of skilled folks sitting idle that are willing and able to take on stuff like this for a bit of extra $$. You just have to know how to find them. Personally, I have a network that I can reach out to and get names/recommendations. This of course depends on where you live. If you’re out in the boonies, it’ll likely be more difficult.

2 Likes

yeah, I will have to keep pulling on personal connections and eventually find someone willing to at least bring over a ladder and help put PVCs together. I went from 0 to 100 real fast on the homeownership part so I don’t have an established network of plumbers, electricians, etc. I live in a major city so there’s no shortage of qualified people (if I lived in the boonies I’d have a mansion and no nosy neighbor!)

1 Like

Don’t bother using PVC, use plain old 4" or 6" chimney pipe (single walled)
like THIS with metal straps to the outside wall (or inside if you desire) and one of THESE on the roof.

Jonathan

Try Taskrabbit then. You should be able to find someone to do it. They don’t always have folks in the boonies but most population centers are pretty well covered.

I’ve also used Hireahelper for things like moving & unloading assistance but haven’t looked for a home handyman type that would do this. But it’s worth a look.

If you have the Nextdoor app you could also look for recommendations there.

1 Like

I agree. Mine vents through the roof and dissipates very quickly. That’s the reason all of the houses plumbing vents are up there. You never want to get too close to one of those, it’ll knock you off the roof.

2 Likes

Yup I’ve tried taskrabbit and kept getting turned down. A majority of the taskrabbit people I found aren’t any better than me (rare to find anyone listed with PVC experience or a willingness to use a ladder. ) I’ll keep trying and look at the other apps though, like the one you suggested!

Edit: and finally, got an attic/dryer vent company to come and take a look at dryer vent installation! KISS and making up a reason to put in a second dryer vent finally worked

1 Like

@dwardio accomplished what you are wanting to do, perhaps he would have some insight.

1 Like

You have a reason, you don’t need to make it up. But they just don’t understand. So I understand what you are saying.

1 Like

People are often not good at new & different. They default to “no way”. They might rationalize by talking about potential liability for something that isn’t normal & insurance issues. But if you let them stick the job into their normal comfort box they can fit it nearly into their comfort zone. Of course you wanted it because you’re putting in a second dryer so your tie-dye craft t-shirts don’t get dye in the dryer you use for your regular clothes right? :grin:

2 Likes

yup, that’s would I would like to have! I showed those photos to all my friends while trying to get opinions/referrals and it’s the first link in my post. I think the PVC pipes + in-line fan look better than the metal ones (sorry Macgeek)

1 Like

Hehe, :roll_eyes: Sorry.

1 Like

so true! I think it will be hard to rationalize why the dryer vent needs to go to the roof top, but I think the neighbor being a complete baby about any smells outside is reason enough.

(I just figured out the quote feature, so much easier!)

1 Like

I was thinking, what about a roofer? - they make a hole in roof, then put pvc thru wall ?

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.