Proofgrade and QRC code

I doubt acceleration and compensation for overshoot, etc, are material dependent. They are more related to the dynamic properties of the machine and getting the best out of it. They may have more effect on more delicate materials but you probably want the best motion parameters on any job unless there is a big speed quality trade off.

5 Likes

Yes, I hope that is the case. The experiment I suggested would help to confirm that.

1 Like

This is why being able to use the Proofgrade settings as a starting point is so important. Plus being able to then manually adjust…

It would be very easy for a GF to present a warning if it detects you are using Proofgrade settings without a piece of Proofgrade being present. That way it can warn you’re on your own and confirm you agree. So no liability or potential support calls.

But we would still have a starting point for other materials…

5 Likes

That was one of the first things I did. See stargates

As it sits now, PG loaded (or unloaded- as in you manually pick it from the material picker), when you goto ‘manual cut/engrave/score’ it populates the settings it was going to use.

Unless you switch to ‘unknown…’ (PG not loaded) it will not let you run the op. But at least you can see what it was going to use and use that as a baseline.

6 Likes

I guess I don’t see where you did the same thing on one piece of proofgrade, with auto and manual settings.

Let me rephrase the question. Are there settings that the user can’t access manually that are affected by proofgrade settings?

This will be of supreme importance to those who don’t want to buy proofgrade, or find it too expensive to ship overseas.

1 Like

I cut like 5 stargates when I got the glowforge. It was the second thing I did. I didnt notice any difference. (Ive since given them away as they were all the same)

2 Likes

How will we ever know what settings are being adjusted for Proofgrade as it’s all being performed in the cloud.

By noticing differences in the two cuts!

Suppose the cut with the manual settings (matching the proofgrade settings for speed and power) cuts differently, e.g., has overshoots or other problems.

That sound fantastic! Are you thinking UI based or forum based?

3 Likes

Seconded. Motion carried. This should happen.

1 Like

Still no kerf, so that’s means no precision in kerf like . Huge bummer

Disabled in the UI for us. @dan can clarify.

Disabled, as in there is a control in the UI but it is not usable, or as in there is no control at all?

If the former, are there other disabled controls?

1 Like

So can I just check, that on the latest software (or at least the version you are running). The GF will not let you use the Proofgrade settings unless it detects the presence of Proofgrade material?

The functionality to manually select PG settings (and run on any material) has been developed and is working (see @takitus). If this has been removed then it looks like GF are deliberately restricting functionality. Pure speculation on why, but I have my suspicions.

Potentially this will be a big issue for:

• International users - due to shipping costs of PG.
  • Users who have there own supplies of materials.
  • Users of PG who have removed the masking tape (on which is the PG code).
  • Users of materials that GF do not supply eg all the different stocks of card/paper.

I really hope that GF reverse the position on the ability to manually select PG settings… @dan can you comment?

1 Like

While opportune for PF money grabbing, it also, as pointed out, cuts down on liability.

“I used the 1/4” birch setting and the GF burned down my house!" followed quickly by “I’m suing!”, is not something anyone wants to hear or have happen.

Edit: darned autocorrect

2 Likes

You can manually select proofgrade settings. It will let you see whatever you want to see. You just can’t hit print while proofgrade is still selected (if that proofgrade QR isn’t detected). If you want to write them down, change back to unknown material, and enter them by hand and then hit print, you can.

They aren’t trying to make it hard to use whatever materials you want. They just are making sure that they aren’t at fault for suggesting settings that might not be compatible. By entering the settings manually they know there’s no way it could be accidental.

I’m totally ok with this. It’s a little bit of a pain but I completely understand.

12 Likes

That is exactly what I was hoping for…jot down the values and have a starting point for similar non proof grade materials.

3 Likes

I’m not clear on what settings would not be available for non-ProofGrade that is there for ProofGrade? Could you give me an example?

My thought is that the settings for ProofGrade are actually simplification or streamlining. I have often used custom settings on ProofGrade just because. It’s not adding anything that I can tell.

Let me answer you directly: we have not announced the pricing for international shipping of Proofgrade materials yet.

Yes. Using Proofgrade settings on non-Proofgrade materials is not a good idea, so we are not facilitating it. We expect non-Proofgrade users will do what laser users have always done: go through the process of learning to identify and characterize materials.

Thanks. Better than I said it. :slight_smile:

Correct.

I’ll let you all know if/when it happens.

Correct, kerf adjustment hasn’t been rolled out yet.

13 Likes