Proofgrade Kitchen Kitsch

The Proofgrade has a finish on it. The edges…hang on a second, and I’ll run a quick test…

Okay just splashed some water on fragments of the cut cherry and maple - water beads up on the front and back surfaces. Water also tends to roll off of the charred edge. (Maybe from the resins in the wood.)

If you wipe the water off, a little bit of char does come off on the rag.

So unless it is left sitting in water, I’m not going to worry about it too much. You can always seal the edges with something like Krylon, dilute wood glue or varnish though, if you’re concerned about it getting knocked into the sink.

I’ve been using it for a few days and it’s held up fine. (YMMV)

3 Likes

Nope, she’s still a pre-release GF. The development cycle was filled with ups and downs, then her PS (personal situation) was found to be sub-par, and it took longer for her to get out of beta than I would have liked. She’s still being run through her paces, being shipped across the continent (well, vacation in Mexico), and when that’s all over she should be all shiny and new for me to get my hands on her.

…My God, I’ve been hanging out in the forums too much…

19 Likes

Yes, you really have… :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Careful – your SLA may be amended if she ever reads that… :wink:

3 Likes

Love it! Let me know how it holds up - I’m currently planning on making all of my sink-side stuff out of acrylic, but if the wood holds up just as well that would look much better!

2 Likes

Gosh, it’s beautiful! That combination of woods is just so pretty. Goes with the color scheme in your kitchen, too. (Note to self: no forum photos of my messy kitchen.)

5 Likes

Love it!!!

1 Like

That is such a nice design. I really like the way the two types of woods look together. You can’t go wrong with walnut and maple… Now all you need is someone to do the dishes for you. :blush:

3 Likes

:grin::+1:

1 Like

I got this one!

5 Likes

Well dingys! Ours is aimed into the sink…wave the brush under it, a little liquid detergent comes out on to the brush…accidental? It goes into the sink. :slight_smile: - Rich

3 Likes

Oh cool! Going to check it out! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh my word! We have our just kinda stuck on the corner back by the windowsill and the hose sprayer. Always drives me nuts but not sure what else to do with it… Until today! This is so simple and beautiful it’s awesome!

2 Likes

Very pretty, but at first look I thought it was one of those counter banana holders!

6 Likes

That looks lovely! Definitely be careful about water on the edges of the plywood; it’s not designed for that.

One note - if you wanted to do away with the dowel, a piece of material shaped like

could slot into corresponding slots on the vertical elements and provide support.

18 Likes

Well crud. Guess I’ll have to break out the lemon Pledge.

(That didn’t take long…actually looks a little glossier now, and smells lemon fresh!)

7 Likes

From the sound of things proof grade plywood is a finished wood veneer on an MDF core, you could use a polyurethane finish to seal the MDF, only note is that MDF will absorb a lot of finish.

if you don’t finish it, MDF tends to swell really badly and crumple.

edit: typo

4 Likes

I’ll finish the next one BEFORE assembling it. This one is going to have to be used as a test case to see how it holds up… :smile:

(I do keep it on the dry side of the sink however, so I really don’t anticipate problems, even if hubs knocks it into the sink. At worst it might get a drop or two on it, and that would have to sit there, unwiped, on an edge, to even affect it.)

I’ll put some drips on offcuts and let them sit for a while, just to see what happens. Or maybe I’ll just drop them into some water…that might be quicker.

Should be an interesting little test.

2 Likes

Yep. That’s what it appears to be. Never mentioned it because purists might argue that it’s not a standard plywood, and Lord knows we have our share of curmudgeons on this forum. But I would argue that it is the only way to get a consistent material that both looks perfect and has zero internal flaws that would affect laser continuity.

6 Likes

Cool! I thought it was one of those banana hangers at first. I love the light and dark contrast.

2 Likes