Proofgrade material purchase

Where do I purchase proofgrade materials?

1 Like

Be patient. It is @ https://shop.glowforge.com/ but like the GFUI I don’t think you are allowed in until you have yours on the way.

5 Likes

Given the impending mass quantities of Glowforges shipping, it would be nice to be able to begin stock piling materials.

On the other hand that could lead to shortages of things people who actually have or soon will have glowforges need for a planned or specific project.

3 Likes

i’ve finally converted the SO. we purchased something recently that came in a (very very large) cardboard box and before i could say anything, he goes, “huh, that’s a lot of cardboard for the laser, eh?”

13 Likes

Congrats on bringing him around. I have a lot of cardboard for the laser from moving and such. I plan to use scrap cardboard for some of my practice cuts.

3 Likes

Yup, now that link redirects you to the GF homepage.

I suspect if you have received your E-mail your account would forward you into the shop. I’m not that special so I get the home page too.

1 Like

You ARE special, it’s just not your time yet, but soon it will be. :grin:

5 Likes

I’m on the platform with my ticket for the pro train anxiously waiting and also starting to fret about where to put it. It’s very unfair how all the pictures of @dan made the glowforge look human sized.

2 Likes

Yeah. All CEOs should be short :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will proofgrade materials be available for wholesale purchase? I am running a nonprofit maker space and we would LOVE to have proofgrade materials on hand for our members to purchase.

@nathanpoel, you might want to ask that question in a new topic in the Problems and Support area. It’s the only one that the Support staff monitors.

Or send them a direct email at support@glowforge.com . They might not have set a policy for it yet, but they’re the only ones who can answer it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know this is a bit of an older thread but I just purchased my Glowforge, can’t wait for it to come in November and would love to stock up on at least a few materials before the unit arrives. Seems silly to me that you can’t access purchasing the materials until your unit arrives. Think of the use case - excited customer unboxes glowforge, has downloaded come cool designs to try out but now has to put an order in for materials and wait for them to arrive before doing anything :frowning:

It also makes people start to shop on where else they can stock up on materials that just so happen to not be proof grade which I would think you’d want to deter people from. I’m interested in knowing the materials that are available, what they look like, what sizes they come in since I have a good month before getting my unit and can start figuring out what I need, but I have to wait? Seems weird, but still super excited, just wish I didn’t have to search on other sites for materials while I wait…

They used to ship a box of sample PG materials that would arrive a few days before your GF. I haven’t heard that they stopped doing that, although I suppose it could have happened without me knowing…

2 Likes

Thanks, I believe sample materials comes with the Glowforge still. I would just like to start designing based on the material thicknesses and materials I can get through Glowforge so by the time the unit comes in I can be ready to print a whole bunch of stuff…

What kind of materials will you be mainly using to start with?..it’s easy enough to give you some rough measurements on the Proofgrade stuff…it tends to be fairly uniform.

1 Like

I’m interested in making something with stacked pieces kind of like the monitor stand example. I just have no idea on what materials they used and the thickness of each material in order to figure out how many layers I need.

Oh, well for the monitor stand you will want thicker wood (takes fewer layers) so you’re looking at the thick option plywood or draftboard.

The thick ply and draftboard tends to run in the 0.200"- 0.216" range. I’d just design slots for 0.210" as an average value. :slightly_smiling_face:

Generally I design for snug fit rather than tight - nothing worse than having to sand everything for a too tight fit, but if you have the exact measurement, it’s still going to be a hair loose because of kerf.

I use these to adjust all tabs now and they do a great job of giving a nice snug fit without overkill.

1 Like