Proofgrade materials

Dead, nice save. Thanks!

4 Likes

Ohhhhhh I see it now.

Their real motive behind Glowforge is to put lasers into the publicā€™s hands and turn all of us into lasered cracker/cookie makers, and fulfill their goal of world domination and forcing those pesky Girl Scouts out of the market.

4 Likes

Egg-zactly right!

We knew there was a sinister plot all alongā€¦

11 Likes

For those new to lasing, like me, this manual for the Epilog Mini CO2 laser has some interesting sections on cutting/engraving techniques and an appendix with suggested cutting and engraving parameters for several laser power ratings:

I expect that the other mainstream laser brands have something similar. Rowmark also seems to have extensive tables of laser settings for their products

11 Likes

I canā€™t even remember what Iā€™m not supposed to reveal.

8 Likes

Squirrels.

3 Likes

If it is any consolation, I canā€™t for the life of me figure out what Mark is talking about. Not that I doubt itā€™s true, just that whatever it is, it canā€™t be that important.

15 Likes

(Snicker) stomp that fire out! :wink:

2 Likes

You are correct on all counts. Just a very little thing Rita ask some of us to not reveal for the moment so as not to start a riot. (In a good way) We are so excited these days that it seems we riot over the littlest things.

oh, and I can neither confirm nor deny that @Jules gave it away. :wink:

9 Likes

Elves ā€¦ elves I tell you ā€¦look at the evidenceā€¦

How many times has @dan told us these things are magical? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Even the interface ā€œautomagicallyā€ cuts and engravesā€¦

and @rpegg actually squeeā€™d the other dayā€¦

What more evidence do we need?

9 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the logo is some sort of abstract tree, too.

2 Likes

Or a leafā€¦i think youā€™re on to somethingā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™ll be submitting a for a refund.
I donā€™t believe you ever made it clear in the initial product offering that you would only be supporting proof grade materials.
I donā€™t buy 3D printers who attempt to lock in a revenue source using their own materials. I wonā€™t support you.

That said; I wish you luck in getting this product into market - because hopefully youā€™ll force the bigger players to lower their prices.

Exactly. I expect the same from glowforgeā€¦ and given they arenā€™t providing a similar table indicates to me that they have no desire to be professional - instead opting to leave it to the user to track down and equivalent table ā€” plagiarize it and use it for experimentation. I expected glowforge to do that to support their own product. The fact they arenā€™t speaks volumes to me.

1 Like

Speaks volumes to me as well but I think we are reading different books. Good luck to you. (seriously)

12 Likes

In my perception Glowforge is not limiting choices, on the contrary - they offer an additional option, a range of materials that are designed to produce consistent results. Something others donā€™t. So you are actually getting more, not less. I donā€™t think you will find a laser that is easier to use, much less for this price.
You are not locked into anything, so your reasoning eludes me.
Well, we all see things differently. :thinking:

14 Likes

That is exactly how I am seeing it. And they are handing us good starting numbers for any material that is close to one of the proofgrade items.

Once they slow down fidling with their settings weā€™ll need to start sharing ā€œthis is what worked for me with thisā€ numbers.

12 Likes

"Speaks volumes - different books"
Eloquent :+1::sunglasses:

7 Likes

At first I thought maybe the secret is that it indeed has a red power cord. But then you said it canā€™t be all that important, so clearly thatā€™s not itā€¦

10 Likes

I have no feelings that Glowforge is deliberately trying to sabotage, obfuscate, or block non-Proofgrade material. Their energy is on the ease of use of non-Proofgrade but I can stick safe and correctly sized material in and go to work.

It takes all of five minutes to test material for an initial prototype.

11 Likes

I fully expected to have to test non-proofgrade materials ā€“ and this only heartens me in how easy it has been for you to do this.

7 Likes