Proofgrade "New Material" First Encounter

Does Draftboard have MDF facings or does that still have the masking on? I can’t see any grain.

1 Like

@dwardio said both sided are masked.

2 Likes

Yes I assumed it comes masked but was asking if the ruler pictured above still has the masking on or is that the finished surface?

I see many slight shades in it. From the pictures @dwardio posted, the masking material didn’t show the shades.

1 Like

Draftboard is not a wood with a grain. An MDF like material. The ruler picture shows the unfinished, unmasked surface.

4 Likes

There ruler is unmasked so to speak. Regular MDF finish.

Doesn’t hold the light engrave well (look at the longer lines on graduations and the outer edge) but this looks like it will be good to test any cut concepts and should also be useful for making drawer bottoms :grin:

4 Likes

Might add, the cheaper, unfinished Draftboard would be a better choice for something to be painted. Using the Proofgrade plywoods or hardwoods is more expensive and the finish doesn’t lend itself well to paint.

A thin strong unfinished MDF material was used for my first project. Since the grain of the wood is unimportant the Draftboard would have been perfect.

26 Likes

From the @dwardio thread

Thanks!

10 Likes

It’s there now!

4 Likes

Since the UI is browser based, this stresses the importance of having your browser up to date and cache maintenance.

1 Like

Yup, that’s how I roll. The browser is always up to date.

Forgot to clear the cache. Now I know better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

items served from the web can be marked do not cache. Perhaps the UI needs some more items in the list.

3 Likes

There’s an idea. Is that possible from the user side? Can I set that in Chrome?

nope that for the gf staff a ui developers to do.

1 Like

You cannot, per url, disable cache as the server is the one to say whether an item is likely to change in the near future or not.

However, chrome does let you completely disable caching in some circumstances, as well as provide a menu when you right-click on the refresh page which gives you ‘hard reload’ and ‘clear cache and hard reload’ options so that you don’t have to wipe out your entire web cache to refresh a single page without cache.

For starters, I believe the hard reload options are available as soon as you right-click something and pick ‘inspect’ which opens the dev tools. If not, then you might have to do the other part which is finding the option for ‘disable cache when dev tools are open’ described at https://www.technipages.com/google-chrome-how-to-completely-disable-cache

EDIT: I should note that caching significantly reduces server load and page load times, so DevOps teams do not generally want you browsing the web without it. But if the server has changed items on you prior to the expiration date previously sent down by the server, then developers will be happy to have you not use your cache for one load so that they don’t hear about bugs that only arise when using version A of one file to process version B of another.

In planning for a go-live, the server could set expiration on all items as the same minute go-live is planned, rather than a simple ‘7 days out.’ After go live, the server could bump it back to 7 days from load time.

5 Likes

Will it let you go to thousandths of an inch? Mine kept resetting to hundredths when I tried to set it for 110 lb cardstock (wouldn’t let me type .009. ?:thinking:

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks for all the information. I’ve got some reading to do :slight_smile:

.01" is the lowest the UI will accept for the material thickness and focus for some unknown reason. However, once you get above that the increments can be changed in thousandths. For example, you can input 0.011"

6 Likes

That’s handy to know…I never tried to go that small with the increments.

1 Like

browser up to date, absolutely something end users need to do. cache maintenance is an absurd concept for average users, though…i think this stresses the importance of having a page, hosted by glowforge, that lists updates (even if it’s just to say ‘added setting xyz’, or 'neon pg material added) because otherwise end users don’t know what they don’t have.

6 Likes