Prototype laser 'nixie tube'

34 Likes

Thatā€™s neat! :relaxed:

Love it!

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t that be cool to laser stop motion type photographs of say a bicyclist or hummingbird? - Rich

6 Likes

Very cool, and, relatively simple. It wonā€™t surprise me if we see commercial example available before long. Surprises me he used ā€œNeoPixelsā€, at least in the beginning, it would have been simpler to use small SMT LEDs and avoided having to make a reticule.

2 Likes

What were those old-timey things that spin and show, like, a horse galloping? I wonder if you could use those still images.

2 Likes

I think you mean one of these:

8 Likes

Wellā€¦ this is going on the to-do pile!

2 Likes
5 Likes

If you had an edge-lit stack a few cards deep in each spot, you could change the action by lighting up different cards on different revolutionsā€¦

5 Likes

Very neat ! Definitely see a use with the animation or even messages - in a window for holidays with a message/greeting or animation. With more battery powered LEDs making wearable animation/message buttons. Maybe even some sort of interactive ā€œpuzzleā€ where you try and put the panes in order before the lights stop flashingā€¦ :thinking:

4 Likes

Funny, one of the projects for me when I get my 'forge is making a display case for my actual nixie tube clock. Iā€™m thinking wood base with acrylic lid to encase the clock in. Originally my idea was pretty basic, but then I found the Glowforge and find Iā€™ll need to rethink to a far more detailed design.

1 Like

This project is still going strong. He has been making batches and selling them. Custom LED boards and shares the library.

And putting this link here to show a different companyā€™s take on the same thing to give ideas for design.

4 Likes