Prototype laser 'nixie tube'

34 Likes

That’s neat! :relaxed:

Love it!

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be cool to laser stop motion type photographs of say a bicyclist or hummingbird? - Rich

6 Likes

Very cool, and, relatively simple. It won’t surprise me if we see commercial example available before long. Surprises me he used “NeoPixels”, at least in the beginning, it would have been simpler to use small SMT LEDs and avoided having to make a reticule.

2 Likes

What were those old-timey things that spin and show, like, a horse galloping? I wonder if you could use those still images.

2 Likes

I think you mean one of these:

8 Likes

Well… this is going on the to-do pile!

2 Likes
5 Likes

If you had an edge-lit stack a few cards deep in each spot, you could change the action by lighting up different cards on different revolutions…

5 Likes

Very neat ! Definitely see a use with the animation or even messages - in a window for holidays with a message/greeting or animation. With more battery powered LEDs making wearable animation/message buttons. Maybe even some sort of interactive “puzzle” where you try and put the panes in order before the lights stop flashing… :thinking:

4 Likes

Funny, one of the projects for me when I get my 'forge is making a display case for my actual nixie tube clock. I’m thinking wood base with acrylic lid to encase the clock in. Originally my idea was pretty basic, but then I found the Glowforge and find I’ll need to rethink to a far more detailed design.

1 Like

This project is still going strong. He has been making batches and selling them. Custom LED boards and shares the library.

And putting this link here to show a different company’s take on the same thing to give ideas for design.

4 Likes