I decided to see how intricate I could make the background pattern on this. I’m pretty impressed! Could never have done this without the improvements that got rid of corner overburn.
PG basswood plywood – the crane cutout is from a book of clipart I found in my stuff from back in the prehistoric days when there was no Internet to get it from.
Yeep, that looks fragile!
Yeep, that looks like it took a few days to print!
Pretty!The intricacy is what always impresses me most.
Holy cow, were you concerned the material might catch with the proximity of the cuts!? I know the PG wood is durable stuff compared to the acrylic, so I’m sure there wasn’t any real danger.
You’ve been killing it with projects lately, keep it up!
Mounted in a frame that can protect it? fantastic! It takes getting the settings right and super clean lenses as well. ask me how I know
How delicate! Does the back look a bit more crispified?
Don’t sneeze! Really lovely though.
The back doesn’t look much different, @arh2! I’ll try to grab a photo, but no promises because I have a road trip ahead of me today. (Lunch and a brief visit with @timjedwards and family at our parents’ retirement community, and then Gkid and I have to hit the road for Ft Worth, 'cause her parents insist on having her back even though she and I both think she should just live here with me! )
It took about 40 minutes as I recall, @randy.cohen.
I’m not gonna try to break it, @Jules, but it actually feels pretty solid!
What’s your minimal detail width for Basswood ply? (I don’t have any.) I found 0.6mm for PG Maple Ply, 0.5 was too small…
My biggest problem with that thin is I tend to break the detail cuts with my meat hook fingers when I’m weeding. I do it by hand with a dental pick because Gorilla tape is too aggressive at that size - pulling the tape will often break the small details.
What does help is if I pull the masking off and reapply before I laser. It loses some of its tackiness that way. Occasionally it then peels while lasering though. No perfect solution
Instead of cluttering up G2N’s thread, I’ll post my response to this over in the thread I started on this a couple of days ago.
I used a line width of 1.8 pt, which Google says is .635 mm. So pretty close to what you found.
Hmm. Discourse apparently feels free to have its way with mobile uploads. The previous photo never existed in landscape mode until I uploaded it here!
That looks pretty good on the back!
That is why I have used hand sanitizer to remove the masking. Do it right and you can have the masking in one piece too.