Put crumb tray in dishwasher?

Convince me not to put the crumb tray into the dishwasher to get 6 months of gunk cleaned off it?

Considering what my dishwasher does to dirty, burnt pans I was thinking this might be a really easy way to get the crumb tray back to something like pristine…

You could always try the @karaelena simple green method:

since maybe you don’t want the stuff on your crumb tray fouling future washing of dishes or blocking up filters etc.

3 Likes

Unknown. Some plastics don’t do well in the heat of a dishwasher. Any slight warping will ruin the tray. If you take the tray apart it is possible to screw up the flatness.

1 Like

Problem solved - can’t fit in the dishwasher anyway :slight_smile:

It also doesn’t fit the sink, any buckets I’ve got either. It really needs a good soak, I might have to just make a little pool out of polythene to let it soak in.

2 Likes

I am not able to take the whole Glowforge outside but getting the crumb tray outside would not be so hard. and cleaning with a garden hose or sprayer you would use on the side of the house that you would not consider near the electronics would be ok on the crumb tray,

What I would like is a way to make one light gray so easier to see against dark wood.

I tried hose cleaning on the PRU tray…with less than stellar results. :neutral_face:

I suspect it really needs to soak - I’m going to try an oil drip pan and some Simple Green when the time comes for this one to get a bath. (I brush it off frequently with a stiff brush and it’s held up really well for over a year…doesn’t need cleaning yet.)

3 Likes

Walmart had some shallow wide clear storage bins that was about 6 inches tall and close to 2.5x3.5 ft sterilite I think was the brand. Pretty easy soaking in that for me.

2 Likes

This is what I used. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHW10/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used a mixture of zep industrial purple cleaner and degreaser that I got from Home Depot. It foamed a lot when I put the crumb tray in it, but cleaned it easily and quickly. I did not leave it in the solution very long. I put the crumb tray in the tray upside down.

1 Like

You can get a mortar bucket at Home Depot that will fit it. Wide, shallow and not too expensive.

They also have a slightly smaller one for half the price ($6).

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m UK based and don’t recognise the products but I’m sure we have similar.

It’s had a really good scrub twice and is better, but I still think it needs a soak

it’s a big plastic tub that contractors use to mix small batches of concrete on the jobsite. If you have some home improvement store like Home Depot (we call them “big box” stores) or even a contractor’s supply house. They are pretty sturdy and fairly shallow because contractors mix the concrete with a hoe and then use a shallow shovel to get it out. They get beaten up a lot with the shovels & hoes so they’re thick polypropelene and pretty cheap (the largest one here is about $12 - 15 Euro).

1 Like

They also make great sleds for places where it rarely snows enough to play in…

2 Likes

to help you find similar:

The amazon link is a flat shallow pan to fit under a wire cage dog crate, I suspect that bit you worked out though. I think the important thing is the crumb tray fits as it is only about 2.54 cm deep
The zep product is also available on amazon.co.uk seems to be listed with the engine degreasers but that sounds like overkill to me.

1 Like

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Tuffspot-Mixing-Tray---Black/p/543009

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.