Puzzle Boxes

This one caught my eye primarily because of the construction techniques - particularly the rotating parts.

http://hackaday.com/2016/07/25/have-a-laser-cutter-hes-a-cool-combination-lock-box-you-can-build/

And another interesting site (by Bruce Viney) for puzzle boxes which could be made very precisely with the glowforge:

http://homemadepuzzles.co.uk/index.html

I’ve made the Black Nightmare through conventional woodworking, but realize it would have been much easier with a laser cutter to get the pieces to fit more precisely.

Primarily interested in the interactions of the different pieces and their movement.

37 Likes

Good find for more projects.

I hope that GF will be able to make bevel gears.

I made the “modified matchbox” on the laser and it’s awesome and delightful. The only trick is you need to print a template to align the parts at the same time you print the parts, or alignment is hard.

6 Likes

I was just coming to the forums to post this hackaday link. A co-worker who knows I have a GF on order sent me the link earlier.

3 Likes

Just saved a bunch of the plans to try once i have my GF.
I alway loved messing around with puzzle boxes. It will be fun to actually make my own.

2 Likes

Love this. I made Bruce Viney’s Knight’s Tomb with the scroll saw. SO looking forward to the Glowforge. I was thinking about making templates/jigs for assembly purposes as well.

2 Likes

I fear I’m too late to the game, none of the links I can find to any of Bruce Viney’s puzzle box plans work. All of the sites are down. Did anyone save copies of the files? I see on YouTube that he passed away earlier this year. :frowning: He seemed like such a cool guy.

Archived Site for Bruce Viney

Bruce Viney passed in May of 2018. There is archived access into his old pages (link above).

2 Likes

looks like im late to the party, anyway i can get the file to the hack a day box?

1 Like

The banner says welcome @ebowhold4u, so here is your welcome.

I don’t see the files posted, just images.