Puzzle making - help with cut lines

Hi friends - I’ve begun my way down the rabbit hole of puzzles.

1. Just because you can cut a lot of pieces, doesn’t mean you should (I spent the last +hour trying to piece this back together… I gave up
    Order of job: engrave, then cut

I’m re-cutting this engraved puzzle (with only 15 pieces this time around) and would like to understand your tips and tricks on make it look like the photo when the puzzle is together.

This was after I washed it with soap & toothbrush, which did make it look significantly better than out of the laser

Let’s pour one out for the beauty it was before I decided 45 pieces would be fine…

5 Likes

from reading through a few other posts, i’ve learned to not mask before engraving… and to make the puzzles cut from the back. Will report back

2 Likes

Masking with a light engrave will screw up the engrave, meaning it will take off layers of mask rather than layers of wood. So yes, engrave, mask then cut. I don’t think it matters which side you cut from and use 1/8" wood and not much thicker (IMO).

I’m thinking if it was me, I’d engrave then stop, open the lid, carefully apply masking without moving anything, then cut.

3 Likes

If you pin the material, it shouldn’t be hard to apply masking without moving anything.

Not all images are suitable for making into a puzzle.

2 Likes

If you search for “puzzle” in posts by @jbmanning you will find a wealth of good information. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You will get banding if you use overlapping tape to mask. So skip the masking. It doesn’t look like proofgrade, so I work on getting you cut setting dialed in. You have some crispy edges there.

I would try engrave first, then cut out the photo and carefully remove the engraved inset (piece of tape helps) without moving the frame. Clean up the engraving and mask with blue tape on the engraved side. Put it engrave side down into the cutout frame and cut.

3 Likes

found him after i posted this :slight_smile: gathering info as we speak
If he has a post that is a walk thru or something similar, could you link it? he has a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d have to go searching, can’t remember whether he’s done one of those or not. If he did it would be in the Tips and Tricks section, so you could narrow your search to that area to make it easier.

3 Likes

Last time I printed a puzzle, I used masking tape after the run, before moving anything. Lift the whole puzzle out; turn over and weed the bottom side. Then apply masking again to the underside; flip and weed the top. Voila, no need to make the puzzle.

2 Likes

Kinda looks like you might have had doubled-up cut lines (each piece was an actual shape, so all of the adjoining shapes also had cut lines). Was that the case?

I believe it cut them individually without the overlap. Maybe i’ll try again in the near future :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.