Puzzles and puzzle pieces

I run a company called The Mystery League. We put on puzzle hunts and the like. Our latest game, Creatures on the Loose, is like an escape room in a briefcase, where all the pieces to the puzzle are locked inside a single briefcase. Many of these parts are made on a Glowforge.

The main component is a Arduino-based computer attached to a 16-button interface. I used a box-making tool to design a hard shell for the computer, then carved the pieces on the Glowforge. I also carved out a small label.

One of the components is a leather strip with a bunch of letters on it. In the off chance that someone reading this might play the game someday, I can’t explain what you do with it. It was tricky to engrave this, because the strip of leather is longer than the bed of the machine. It’s also very stiff, which made it difficult to tape down. It would have been easier to buy a large piece of leather and then engrave and cut, all with the Glowforge, but that didn’t occur to me until I bought several pre-cut strips. In any case, I had to do each strip in two parts, and since the spacing between letters is crucial, I had to come up with some creative ways to do registration.

The most intricate piece is a code wheel. I designed this in Illustrator. The middle axle is made from a stack of two small disc. One is the negative (donut hole) of the smaller wheel, and the other is a duplicate of it. The two disks get glued together and then inserted in a circle of the same size that I burn out of the bottom wheel by engraving on the highest setting. That gives the whole thing more stability and a shorter profile.

Finally, each briefcase (there are 7 of them) has a tag hanging from its handle with a name on it. I designed these using a simple shapes from The Noun Project and a thick font I found on Google Fonts.

42 Likes

It wouldn’t let me add more than one photo per post. Here are the others:

20 Likes

28 Likes

35 Likes

Very cool! looks like fun!

1 Like

Let me guess: scytale?

Oh, how fun! This seems like an ideal use for the Glowforge. I wish you all success!

1 Like

:smirk:

It won’t let you select multiple pictures at once (e.g. click upload and then click on more than one picture) but it will let you upload multiple pictures by selecting Upload and then the pic and then doing it again after the first upload finishes (there is a little progress clock that will show up as it’s saving your picture to the cloud).

I want to play! Me! Me! Me! – seriously, that looks like a ton of fun. My boys would drool if I showed them this :grinning:

1 Like

I’d probably enjoy that! Looks like fun! :grinning:

That’s due to you being a new user. A little bit of time and interaction will auto upgrade you to basic user and then member. Post more things like this and skies the limit.

1 Like

Our Glowfolk are going to go wild when they see this later in the week!

Where are you located…I wanna play!!!

Edit…duh should have read the website…next time I’m in Chicago…

1 Like