PVC veneer

I’ve read about not cutting PVC with lasers…

but what about veneers made out of PVC?

Which would you rather face, a small amount of unpredictable damage, or no damage ?

John :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

If you already know not to cut pvc, I don’t quite understand what you’re asking.

Laser cutting PVC is bad, regardless of the form it’s in. But like @johnbrooker says, there is a certain amount of degree that matters here. PVC veneer is probably thin, so your cuts won’t be going through that much PVC [and therefore won’t be making much chlorine/HCl gas], but it’s still not a great idea. Why fool with it? There are lots of alternatives, including… wood. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Don’t cut PVC.
Don’t cut stuff made from PVC.
Veneers made from PVC are made from PVC.
Don’t cut PVC.

21 Likes

Understood.

But what about cutting PVC?

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Instructions can be found here.

3 Likes

I couldn’t resist. Haven’t been a victim of that in years, so it was rather refreshing. Now I’ll go laser my ears.

4 Likes

459 million + victims.
(It’s the goofy grin.)

4 Likes

I’m so happy that the audio circuit on this laptop no longer works.

4 Likes

At least it was not a goatse link…

4 Likes

Anyone who pays attention here knows I love a good visual, so here ya go.

This is your laser after cutting PVC…

This is your laser after cutting PVC veneer…

5 Likes

What about lasering drugs? Or eggs?

3 Likes

I’m now wondering if I could cut egg-shell with the GF ?
I know the technique for ‘blowing’ eggs, but I’ve never tried it, so I think that goes on the ‘to do’ list !

3 Likes

3 Likes

Chris, you either have a strange word-association sense of humour, or 'blowing eggs means something else in USA !
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yes you can!

5 Likes

Thanks Jules. I missed that one.
:glowforge: meets Faberge ? That might work.:thinking:

1 Like

I dunno, I tried for some thin fancy flourish designs and kept breaking them…they’re just so thin after you cut and pick parts away that they don’t hold up. (You can cut a blocky shape out of them like a star or an oval, and they are pretty stable, but the usage is limited, so I never went back to the medium.)

2 Likes

Coat the inside with something before cutting - epoxy ? Acrylic ?
I have a pint of uv acrylic
John

3 Likes

Maybe. It turns out to be more work than carving with a Dremel though, it might be best to leave the eggshells to something like a very small CNC.

(Fully expecting the gods of laser to strike me down now. Must be ready to duck.) :smile:

3 Likes