Q&A with Dan April 20th, 2016

I hate to be all “forum etiquette snob”, but… um… it would probably be helpful if each question was in its own post - that way “likes” (votes) could be more accurately tallied.

10 Likes

that would actually be helpful. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Q: When the Design Store comes online, how many designs do you anticipate will be available, assuming that the store will open in December? And, what do you think is the most interesting design we haven’t yet seen in the promo video or forum?

12 Likes

How is it with international shipping? Any planned things - now with more time - to ease international shipping? Something like batch shipping oder local distribution from a warehouse somewhere in europe? And do we need to take care about all the customs stuff or are they predeclared in international shipping? That would help!
Greetings from germany :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m on board with wondering about the filter. Initially that seemed like it would be following the GF at some other date. Will this delay allow them to ship together, or at least closer together?

5 Likes

I know this is probably premature, but I would like any information about the catalogue. I know it was mentioned earlier that some (or all?) would be more curated to ensure quality designs.

How is this going to work? Will anyone be able to submit designs or only selected designers? What sort of pricing can we expect? Has work started on the catalogue, or is it still in the idea stage?

6 Likes

How will the Forge focus on curved surfaces that are solid color and have no visual features? Will there be a focus assist beam? Same question applies to very large featureless flat sheets that fill the bed.

2 Likes

What specifically has caused the greatest delays?

1 Like

What challenges are remaining to be overcome by the new deadline?

6 Likes

Do you like tacos?

I can only stand by a company that has an appropriate appreciation for tacos.

edit: Oh mercy. 54:20 and on had me rolling on the ground laughing. That was such a beautiful response!
And @bailey, you said that pretty well considering the beginning portion is in another language, and the last is an abbreviation that is important to me. s

10 Likes

Does anyone could access the Glowforge catalogue or even non owners ? (Like if we are a team)

Could we buy a design once and then resell it a million times ?

1 Like

Q. What are the odds of the new shipping date will be met. I think this is really the most important question. When the date was originally changed to June, we were told, no problems, we’re going to hit that date. Now, just a matter of some weeks out from getting our product, we’re told the date is moving AGAIN, half a YEAR out. I’m not sure why everyone is on board with this move, and what essentially turns into an interest free loan for a year…but…yeah…I’m not.

I can choke this pill down if the change in ship date was an over estimation, to give you guys breathing room to nail everything perfectly…but if you’re not 100% on delivery by December, I need to know now.

4 Likes

I asked this question very early on, but Dan was not able to give me a 100% positive answer at that time. Now that you have had a few Glowforges run at the factory that will be producing them maybe this can be answered.

Both for designing my projects and for resizing my raw materials I have been moving forward with the assumption that the Glowforge Basic can utilize exactly a 12"x20" sheet of material. Is this accurate? Are the mechanical limits of the laser a true 12"x20"? Can a slightly larger sheet fit so that we can cut a laser clean edge at 12"x20"?

12 Likes

How close are you to having additional Beta units out for testing?
(Weeks or months?)

9 Likes

How many Beta units do you plan to test?

6 Likes

Has your software Beta team gotten started?

1 Like

This is my biggie for today

4 Likes

Question:
Will you develop and implement a non-cloud based software solution option that will effectively protect the customer base against potential events (foreseeable or otherwise) that might affect the availability of the cloud based solution in the future (despite the possibility that it may not be able to be equally as robust)?

I apologize for not being able to come up with a cool question like what’s your favourite colour. Please note Canadian spelling of the last 2 words in the previous sentence.

2 Likes

What’s your favorite breakfast?
(figured i’d toss an easy one in.) :relaxed:

Where are you with the variable power supply?

3 Likes