QOTD from Glowforge: Before Glowforge, what tools have you used for making things and how do you feel about them?

On the digital side I was a technical writer. I do screen shots, mostly. I have used a handful of design tools, but outside Sketchup not much. I use sketchup to plan out my analog building.
On the analog side, I converted a boat trailer to a utility trailer and I’m pleased with the results. I particularly like the out-of-the-way drop-down spare tire. I built a deck, I move walls, I handywoman around the house and tinker with different projects. My tools are drills, saws, sanders, a grinder, and that sort of thing.
I have watched 3D printers for a couple years. They are expensive for low quality and really expensive for moderate quality. I have wanted one but just couldn’t justify it. I’m not usually a kickstarter or an early adopter. I don’t need to tell you all that this is different.

I’m a total n00b. Chainsaw, does that count? On the digital side Catia back in University, after that Unity3d and some miserable results from Cheetah3D

1 Like

Wood
This is probably my longest running build material. My father did carpentry work and his father had a woodworking shop, so I’ve had a lot of exposure. I am mostly into the power tools. I still pull out my grandfather’s hand-drill or lathe, but only when it’s something that needs extra care or I just want to feel something that I know he used. I’ve built furniture, toys, puzzles, gadgets, tools, etc. I’ve helped build houses. I even build my own shed from scratch. I ended up with a couple of wild bunnies one summer and built them a hutch with a removable floor so that the wire mesh could be upgraded without needing to tear it out. I ended releasing the bunnies into the wild and giving the hutch to a girl at a 4-H fair. Wood is my favorite material. My next purchase is going to be a portable sawmill so I can create my own lumber.

Plastic
I wouldn’t say that my 3D printer is an indispensable tool in my arsenal, but I have used it for some cool stuff. I have an unusual case on my phone and normal stands don’t work for it. I designed a stand that will hold the case open for me. Others in the office have seen it and requested stands of their own. I like to design replacement pieces for board games and 3D print them. I hate the cheap cardboard stand-ups, etc. that come with games. The 3D printer gives me the flexibility to make almost anything I can think of. I especially like being able to print parts as one unit that would need to be glued or bolted if manufactured in another way.

Electrical
I also enjoy building electronic gadgets. This started in college when I was required to take Electric Circuits 101. We each got a kit of resistors, capacitors, leds and the like. Throughout the course, I was fascinated by all of the things you could build with these simple components. My most recent build was to make a gaming glove from a 3M golf glove, a $3 controller, some electric fence, some monitor cable connectors and a thimble. For about $20, I made a glove I actually like better than my $150 Peregrine.

1 Like

If you made something with it, chainsaw totally counts.
I used mine to make small bits of wood from larger ones.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing software for longer than I care to admit. It’s cool but it’s all VIRTUAL: there is no physical thing.

When 3D printers came along it was great! Now I could take a digital, virtual data and make a real thing out of it. I used to do 3D computer games so I understand something about 3D graphics.

Then I did welding (nothing digital or virtual) and then CNC plasma cutting which made a nice addition to welding.

Then I learned to laser stuff! Mostly wood but everything else I could get my hands on!

Recently I started doing CNC milling which, again, does 3D and vinyl cutting which is, again, flat (but you can’t cut vinyl with a laser).

I really want to figure out how to etch bas relief with a laser – not stacking slices but actually etching out the 3d. I think I know how to do it but it requires some math that I haven’t figured out!

I’m not much of an artist or even a “designer” but I can take almost any kind of digital file and make it suitable for any kind of device (OK, OK, within the limits of the device). It’s a lot of fun!

1 Like

Half a log stable with a LogoSol Big Mill Basic, from standing trees to logs. A slightly different scale compared to a GlowForge :slight_smile:

That’s more than just a chainsaw!

I probably shouldn’t admit this, but my hands aren’t the best tools. The reason I want a GF is to have the computer do all the hard stuff. I CAN handle using a program to lay out a line :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I own and have used a lot of saws.

I have a chain saw, a circular saw, a jigsaw, a router, a chop saw, a hacksaw, Japanese wood cutting saw, a few plain ol’ regular saws, and a saw attached to the end of long stick.

I’m a person who likes to cut wood.

I think my new light saw will be my favorite.

9 Likes

I use variety of tools but the one I use most and am the most creative with is my router. Such a versatile tool.

Hey Peeps…

Ever since I purchased my house I’ve been able to have my own garage… Which everyone knows means “tool paradise”. Ten years later, I now have a lot of power tools, which means I can do my own repairs. I have saved a lot of money with my repairs therefore with that extra money, I purchased two 3D replicators and build my own OX CNC. Building this little puppy was great! I added a dewal 611 and it’s amazing. I considered an xcarve but I wanted to get my hands dirty and decided to make my own…

Software: I either draw my own designs or use adobe products, on the 3D side I used Maya

Jlo

Background- CNC programmer for 34 years (yeah, when it all began), started my own company 21 years ago. We design and build Automated packaging equipment and acrylic chambers. Looking to expand into furniture, lighting, art, who knows.

CNC and Laser-
Fadal 8030 CNC Mill (80" x 30" travel)
Fadal 3020 CNC Mill (30" x 20" travel)
Epilog Laser with 4th axis attachment (36"x 24" travel)
FMT Patriot 4’ x 8’ cnc router with 4th axis attachment
Glowforge Pro (on order!)

Software-
Solidworks
Geopath
Corel Draw
Aspire

I’m really looking forward to the new laser. It has some different capabilities from my current laser. The software seems incredible. I really want to develop some creative/ artistic products now with multiple manufacturing methods and materials.

1 Like

I’ve used so many different tools to make so many different things, from power tools like table saws, routers, drills and dremels (for things like drawers, boxes and repairs) to lathes and mills (for things like Christmas ornaments, and small parts).

But my favorite project was recently making this combination acid etching and photo transfer onto copper sheets for our 7th Wedding Anniversary (copper being one of the traditional 7th anniversary gift materials). The learning curve took me A LOT longer than I ever expected, and I already know that a GF will not only cut down on the time needed to make things like this, but will also make the writing 100x easier & cleaner…

And I understand that it can’t truly etch copper; I will use it in a way that will more easily facilitate the acid etching.

Please excuse the smiley faces, but I kind of like privacy & all that…

3 Likes

You two look so alike!

3 Likes

LOL :smiley:

1 Like

None, sadly—that’s why I’m so incredibly excited to get my hands on this thing! My wife has a Cricut for scrapbooking, but I never touched it & my brother has a 3d printer, but still haven’t had a chance to go see it. I spend nearly everyday designing with Illustrator so I feel like a Glowforge is right in my wheelhouse—seems almost too good to be true!

2 Likes

I went to the Grizzly tools showroom in Springfield, MO today because I’m so aching for.a Glowforge. I saw this beautiful machine.

11 Likes

Was there a lot of rubbing a touching?:wink:

1 Like

how could there not have been :slight_smile: just looking at it causes symptoms of drooling and maybe a little foaming at the mouth

1 Like

I kept my distance as I was in mixed company. I did bring home a catalog for later reading. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes