QOTD from Glowforge: First week with your Glowforge-- What does it look like?

This. Yup.

Where it will live: On a table that we just built to fit it, in my office.

Who will use it: Just me. :slightly_smiling:

What will get made the first week: Not a thing. Iā€™ve never used a laser cutter before. Iā€™ll be learning, and testing the machine on various materials, to get the best settings for each material, and to see if the filter holds up. (If not, Iā€™ll have to move it to a vented room upstairs.) Eventually though, I plan to put it to use on the (literally) thousands of vector cutting files/designs that I have on hand. Iā€™m buying this machine because I can use them as they are, and donā€™t have to spend a lifetime converting them to another format. Iā€™m planning to experiment with everything, materials-wise, and will probably wind up modifying a lot of the designs for different materials as I get to know their characteristics.

1 Like

Where it will live: In our project room.

Who will use it: My husband & Iā€¦and then Iā€™m sure friends and family once they find out we have a laser!

What will get made the first week: Currently I am overwhelmed by all the cool possibilities I have seen so farā€¦ I guess thatā€™s how I will be using the next several months.

3 Likes

Welcome @imitating, have you lurked before? So many cool topics to explore.

1 Like

Been spending a lot of time browsing the forums today. There are so many things we have tried making/cutting by hand throughout the years, we are so excited to have laser.

2 Likes

Who will be using it : I will be using it - unless I can convince the G/F to do some artwork
Where it will live: I hope to have it live in the computer/animal room however depending on noise level to spare bunny/chinchilla ears I may have to move it to the living room or bed room
What will get made the first week: I am a laser/cad/cam virgin I hope to during the pre ship time learn to use some free software
my first week I hope to be making some houses for the chinchillaā€™s
not sure how I am going to get my ROI maybe dabble in some inlay stuff serving boards coasters etcā€¦ hope to find some site some place where I can pull work orders from and make the money off
still not 100% sure if this was the smartest purchase I have made have been chewing on it sense oct but the recent beta/UI updates pushed me over the edge

4 Likes

How do the chinchillaā€™s do with vacuum cleaners?
The ā€˜forge wonā€™t be that loud, just sayinā€™.

2 Likes

The chins are pretty good when I vacuum but Iā€™m in and out with that machine in about 5 min. berta my rabbit hates the vacuum she climbs up the cat tree or just leaves the room all together. my concern is the exhaust system (I didnā€™t order it just yet because I didnā€™t want to much on the CC ill add it a bit later) I read a post from dan some time back that the fans are rather loud but I believe that has to do with some software calibration still needing to get done

2 Likes

Where ?----- on a home made traveling fit to size table.
Who ?------just me and my demons.
What ?-------gears and more gearsā€¦oh and the candle thingy from the glowcast !
(gonna make a mutated wall of turning gears from different materials)

6 Likes

My expectation is that the first week will be pretty evenly split between sitting in the basement zapping everything in arms reach with a laser; driving to every crafter, flooring shop, furniture shop, and other large scale maker of things to beg for their laserable offcuts; swearing as I try to remember how all these little pieces of an overambitious project go together; and ignoring the incessant ringing of my phone as my day job keeps trying to insist I come into the work, despite the offices severe lack of lasers.

There might be sleep and food in there somewhereā€¦ maybe.

11 Likes

Where will it live: My Glowforge will live in my air-conditioned shop (I live in Florida)

On the red table.

Who will use it: Mainly me, but I can see my step kids and neighbors participating too.

What will get made the first week: I plan to do engraving pictures on wood first, but I plan to make coasters, acrylic projects, intarsia and try to do some marquetry.

15 Likes

Who will use it: Me, my wife, and my two sons (after some training).

What will get made the first week: probably just some test cuts to get use to the machine and the software. Probably try to make a little acrylic costume jewelry, cut some custom wooden pieces for a table-top game Iā€™ve been working on ā€“ and I want to make a wallet. Loved that part of the promo video.

2 Likes

Where it will live: My office
Who will use it: Me only, I donā€™t trust my spawn or my husband with it.
What will get made the first week:Necklaces, mobiles, buttons, wooden appliques for my husbands guitar, some 3D art I have another local artist currently working on and a few things my teens and tweens want me to make :slight_smile:

9 Likes