QOTD from Glowforge: What do you do with your time (professionally and/or personally)?

Hi Everyone!
I’m a graphic designer (self-taught) and printer specializing in invitations. I do a wide range of invites for anything from weddings, to charity events, to birthdays to pretty much anything inviting guests to attend. I’ve had my business since 2004 and it’s grown and grown (via word of mouth) which makes me very happy. Being in the wedding industry, I’m looking very forward to using glowforge for all things wedding from personalized favors to the invites themselves. Please ship as soon as you can!

Personally, 52, happily single, 3 adults, 2 grandkids and loving life everyday.

Oh, and thanks for asking:)

1 Like

Hi everyone, so nice to meet you all!
Sounds like quite the varied group… lots of passion coming from very different backgrounds. It’ll be really exciting to see what everyone does with some lasers!

Short version, I’m a professional illustrator with a merchandising passion…

Long version, I work a full-time day job as a Senior Graphic Artist / assistant Art Director in the licensed merch/apparel industry, while also freelancing as an illustrator, managing my own Etsy shop, and doing gallery shows throughout the year. I also teach a computer illustration night class at the college and tutor teenage artists at my local coffee shop once a week. Always something going on, but thankfully it’s all relatively creative stuff.

I live with my girlfriend in the suburbs of Dallas/Fort Worth… love music (heavy metal!), lots and lots of coffee, Alfred Hitchcock, Stephen King… spooky stuff!!

TexanGothic.com
Albright Illustration Etsy Shop

1 Like

Professionally: I am a locksmith and security technician. i work with mechanical lock installation and electronic access control and integration. my wife is a teacher working a job at a daycare.

Personally: I am part of the generation of thinkers and makers, too much research and knowledge has lead me to creating all sorts of strange mechanical contraptions. due to my lack of a garage now (apartment) my making has slowed down. i am an avid reader and looking at re-binding a couple books with custom lasered covers.

I had known about glowforge from day one but had to find a way to introduce it to my wife to try and get her excited. she took to the idea without any hesitation, and is going to use the glowforge to speed up her creation of teaching specific crafts.

2 Likes

By profession I am a laser engraver for the past 3 years. Previous I was a CNC machinist with a variety of custom cabinetry shops and a professional prop and set maker. Strangely my university schooling was visual arts based. They never really emphasized what wonderful tools CNC mills and engravers are for fabricating.

Personally I am a member of a local maker space and part of a couple prop and costume groups. Always making something fun to keep me busy.

I love reading these!
For myself, I sometimes get confused between personal and professional. :smile:
Although I got an MFA in metalsmithing/jewelry making some 30 years ago, I have made my living in the software world for the last 25. I am currently a partner in a small web development shop in Seattle, but am looking for ways to reduce the amount of time I spend coding. My wife is a graphic designer and book artist, so between the two of us we are busy dreaming up ways to suplement our income with our new Glowforge!

I also have a decent size shop full of “stuff” where I spend almost all of my spare time. Lots of metalsmithing equipment, a small sherline CNC mill, basic woodworking gear and a growing collection of 1940’s era machine tools, all of which seem to need constant repair.

2 Likes

Professionally - I am running my own business as a product development engineer and 3D printing provider. I also provide technical support for an international manufacturer of 3D printers. I plan to use the Glowforge to expand my service offering and to shorten prototype manufacturing time by cutting enclosures out of acrylic with the Glowforge instead of by hand with a table saw. I have several product ideas that the Glowforge may enable me to implement. In the past I have worked on parts for helicopters, and the most exiting professional part of my career, other than starting my own business, was when the Orion test flight launched with parts on board that I built.

Personally - I am a maker and am always tinkering with something. I have created things from jewelry boxes to custom furniture, designed and build a desktop milling machine, and have a hundred ongoing projects that fill my time. I have a Kickstarter addiction, supporting games, technology, and any other project that I think is neat and that I can afford at the time.

Add yourself to the Glowforge map? I’m in Haltom City.

1 Like

Professionally: I’ve been with Match.com going on 9 years. No I don’t match people for a living :smile: I’ve held various positions that have sent me all around the world, and am currently a Senior Operations Manager.

Personally: Wife and art lover. I draw, paint, sculpt, and do any kind of crafting I can fit into my schedule. I also run a small baking business in that same ever dwindling amount of free time. I have 2 French Bulldogs that are ridiculously spoiled.

@krys: Laser + Baking = awesomeness… You just gave me the hook to get my wife interested in the GF!

Professionally:
Product lead and pioneer of web conferencing and computers as consumer communications products at AT&T, AOL, 3Com…and more recently eCommerce executive for a major retailer. User experience design (physical and digital) has been a major aspect of what my teams do. Currently working on a concept for an easier way to give back through volunteerism.

Personally:
Empty nester who loves to work with my hands with wood and jewelry materials. I’m an MC Scow racing sailor in the Inland Lakes Yachting Association and have many ideas for that community.
My fiancée creates sugar art (www.10xSugarArts.com) and is thinking of ways to use the GF for cake accessories, cookie cutters, stencils and decorations as well as art pieces.
My daughter owns a competition grade pet grooming salon (www.StylaPet.com) and we are discussing items to serve her audience.

Even though I’m the purchaser of record for the 'Forge, it is my niece who will be the owner. But I think she’ll allow me to use it occasionally :wink:

Me Professionally:
I’m a network admin for a small IT company. Been doing it for 18+ years. As a hobby I’m a self taught graphic designer. Selling on POD sites (CafePress, Spoonflower, etc).

Me Personally:
I’m a single woman trying to be the cool aunt. I have ALS, but can still use a computer.

Her Professionally/Personally:
A college student who does chainmail jewelry and makes cosplay costumes.

4 Likes

@AuntiMame Good god almighty. I want you in my family! What a gift!

1 Like

Great to read the diversity that are the glowforge purchase group!

Professionally, I’m a freelance events producer. I have a bachelor in the economics and I’ve tried office life. That was not for me and now I work whenever I want to at great events all around the country. LOVE it. I also have a Fablab diploma (fabrication academy MiT) During my off days I rent out student and expat apartments in our capital.

Personally I’m all over the place. Racing cars on the track, making cool stuff, videogames, toy collector (transformers) modelbuilding, drinking, food, traveling. Oh how I love to travel and see the world! I share my life with my beautiful and very understanding girlfriend and we take care of our two cats.

I’m hope I will be able to use my glowforge in aspects of all my hobbies. Building stuff for props, costumes, model building, toy collecting even stuff for in the cars. Maybe if the thing works like it’s set out to work I’ll start a little engraving shop to cover some cost.

1 Like

@jacobturner While I believe I am “the cool aunt”, I must admit my phrasing wasn’t perfect. She is paying for the 'Forge. I’m only providing access to the credit card used to order it. :wink:

1 Like

So many tools and not enough time.

3 Likes

Professionally, I’ve been an EMT/Paramedic/Firefighter for the last 20 years now.

Personally, I’m a jack of all trades, (master of none). Mostly I’m involved basic home remodel/repair. Dancing and DJ’ing for dance groups doing WCS. I am also a computer geek, learning Linux right now. taking a class on EdX. Back in high school, I did some CAD drafting that I enjoyed. Which is probably why I bought a GF. I had used Autocad and MasterCam on the fastest computers they had, 386’s.

1 Like

Professionally: I am a 58 year old woman who has spent most of her life in and around the horse racing business/industry. Currently working in the Licensing Department of a State Racing Commission. I love the horse side, not so much in love with the paperwork side anymore. As all things change in life, so too, is my imminent future. I have pre-ordered this machine to expand my design projects along with my other hobbies of jewelry making, embroidery, and thrifting on eBay. My husband is a brick mason contractor but like me, we are both looking forward to “retirement”. Something we can both do, both contribute to without leaving home if we don’t want to, while having the freedom of living and working anywhere.

Personally: My husband and I love to travel to horse race tracks all over the country. Weird bucket lists! LOL. We live quite simply, travel quite simply and enjoy life and family 110%. Hubs doesn’t “do” much computerish things but does have an iPhone and is pretty self sufficient, and educated so he figures things out. My plan (but of course I’ll have to lay this out for him) is to help me design, produce and ship items. We are ready to tone down our lives much more…but we’d also be ready to be “the next big thing”.

1 Like

unexpected and very cool.

seconded.