QOTD: What do you want in a Catalog of designs?

I’d be most likely to use “starter designs” that I can then customize. I expect to work with my own designs most of the time. But, if I wanted something like a wallet that I have no experience designing, I’d like a starting point from which I can add my own creativity.

18 Likes

+1!
In lost wax casting I would frequently buy a wax design for say a ring, and develop a design using it as a starting point -
As opposed to starting with a block of wax and carving a ring shape from scratch.
Saved many hours of carving that way!

11 Likes

What I might buy in a more long-term sort of way:

1. More complex items, like the quadcoptor from the commercial or a well designed bag that I could make out of Pinatex or other non-death-fabric

2. Professionally decorated things with original artwork

3. Parametrically designed or otherwise customizable things

10 Likes

“non-death-fabric” - ha!

1 Like

Leather goods like the bag Dan made and puzzle-type projects like the Codex Silenda project on Kickstarter. I’ve already bought the latter and would be interested in more of that sort of thing.

5 Likes

clasps, cranks, clips…
stand-alone mechanical elements to be incorporated into other designs.

10 Likes

Designs for paper goods like wedding invitations, holiday decorations, cards, banners, etc.
Designs for fabric (like etched denim or t-shirt designs, or cut-work blouse patterns, etc.).
Personalizable (is that a word?) picture frames.
Calender mounts (add a small printed calender to a decorative wooden or acrylic frame).
Smartphone and tablet cases.
Leather (or other fabric) gloves.
Monitor stands.
Sandals and slippers.
Personalizable rubber stamp designs.
Hmmmm…still thinking…

9 Likes

Everything. I know it isn’t helpful but it is for something that can create so much it would probably be easier to list what we don’t care about :wink:

I guess in general plans for stuff you put together. And decorative designs to add to stuff I make to ‘pretty it up’.

5 Likes

I can CAD most simple shapes myself, I will most likely buy stuff that is complex and beautiful like scroll work and intricate details that will eat a lot of time drawing out.
Also, maybe have a lucky label (or redeemable code) when you buy proof grade, one might contain a free catalog design (like the prizes in cereal boxes and cracker jack).

12 Likes

3D stuff mostly because I suck at CAD (right now)!

4 Likes

Would be great to have a library of useful bits to add vs a bunch of single clasp etc design; or option of 1 design, or get a library of 20 different hinge design (or clasps etc) at a “bulk” discount. Similarly libraries of types of embellishments that are easy to add to other “basic” items such as boxes etc.

5 Likes

Maybe a little bit different of a request but I think it would be interesting if Glowforge had licensed items that users could purchase. For example, an iPhone engrave design with a design centered around your favorite NFL or NCAA team. Or a light switch template with Disney characters/designs.

Or - maybe negotiating some kind of blanket license(s), where people designing items for the catalog could incorporate certain licensed items into their design and the price or commission from selling a design would be adjusted to cover the royalty.

Just thinking out loud. :slight_smile:

Storage seems to be a big train of thought around here.

Embellishments would be interesting addons to a design. For example, I’ve purchased plans for a box of some sort but I’d like to also engrave something on it. It would be kind of tough maybe for Glowforge to get involved in the stock imagery type stuff but maybe some sort of program could be set up with a stock media company like Shutterstock, etc. I think a lot of buyers aren’t familiar with services like that and it could be lucrative to GF as well.

5 Likes

While containers and boxes are always interesting to construct. I would like to see possibly puzzle boxes as well as 3d puzzles as well. Gears and automata is another thing that would be interesting to see ( simple automata designs/kits that could be expanded upon to make your own designs. There used to be an automata creators kit available ( don’t know why it was discontinued) with gears and pieces to construct and design your own. Something like that would be kewl - or spirograph type gears and objects or cycloid drawing apparatus.(I know that’s something I want to cut out and build for myself.

3 Likes

Easily modified templates.

sometimes you just want to know that something will print right the first time. BUT you still want something personalized. So have a selection of items that can be changed wither with a click of a button or very easily. A candle holder that has 2-3 different inside patterns to the screen part, Or a coaster blank that you can add a name to then print 5 of… Things like that.

Otherwise, maybe some common designs in each material category, like a wallet and a bag in leather, a display shelf in wood or acrylic, stuff like that. Things that will get people off to a quick start or will be the “basics” of a good boutique

3 Likes

Lots of good ideas here.

What would make me open my wallet for a catalog item?

Storage. Drawer organizers, stackable bins, that sort of thing. Bookshelves even. Parametric designs are especially cool.

I can assemble Ikea-grade furniture but I can’t yet design it, or cut out the parts. The Glowforge and Catalog could handle that.

We can only cut 1/4" thick but for a bigger item like a bookshelf, I’d be happy layering pieces and joining them with glue, pegs, screws, whatever.

I believe that Catalog items should be laid out so that the user can easily add a design to just about any open area. Don’t sell a wallet with a single design etched into the face. Sell a wallet and sell the designs separately (or let us easily import our own). Customization is a big deal. It’s one of the reasons I bought a laser cutter.

6 Likes

I’m fascinated by gears but clueless how to design with them. Designs for things like lock mechanisms, orreries (and tellurions (telluria?)), counting machines, ‘drawing machines’, would definitely pique my interest, and probably open my wallet as well.

6 Likes

I second the candidates already mentioned, but mostly interested in:

Anything with a living hinge design
Boxes of hardwood or acrylic
Leather goods
Shadow box lamps
Puzzle boxes
Many things I have seen on this forum that I can’t remember :grimacing:

Parametric designs that can be resized would be nice.

5 Likes

Mostly learn from @m_raynsford. Designs with print times clear and presumed build times.
Some letter sets and glyphs for some good laserable fonts so we can throw them in and print.

6 Likes

I would like to have the ability to cut items involve in building design, decorating. In other word, create miniatures, so that I can create my future room addition, room layout, different door/window designs, play with furniture layout. The types of things that architects need to create. Also, I guess it would be cool to make the versions that children can play with. Actually all things miniature are interesting to me. I echo what many others have said about ideas to customize storage and other storage options.

7 Likes

My thoughts:

• Education items that help explain principles eg cogs, wheels, levers, etc
  • Stuff that will appeal to kids, in particular items that are easy to customise
  • Toys and games
  • Useful house hold items, cutting board, placemats, coasters
  • Complex joint options (so can learn)
  • Lights, shadow throwers
  • Large items specifically for Pro users
  • 3D design items eg cardboard globe, animal masks, Animals
  • Skateboards with laser graphics
  • Fancy letter stencils
  • At least one (free) design that show cases each Proofgrade material
  • Pet corner ie stuff for your Dog, Cat, Gerbil
  • Artworks
  • Signs eg Danger Laser, materials not laserable, mens/women’s, etc
  • Trophies and awards
  • Cardboard and paper designs
  • Annual festival themed items etc
  • Dolls houses and furniture
  • Toolboxes
  • Leather items not just wallets, but custom sized sandals, etc

Most important: Large items specifically for Pro users.

For categories and design ideas (eg for educational items, etc) check out Thingiverse.

14 Likes