Quelab Acoustic Panels

I made a pair of acoustic panels for my local makerspace with the help of my glowforge.
If you need any more details or files feel free to ask.

I’m responsible for the entire game room and I’ve completely transformed the space from what it was. I’ve used the glowforge for a few of the projects, but this is the first time I tried to make a video of the process.

25 Likes

Nice video!

Very artistic! Nice workaround with the cardboard feed too. :grinning:

1 Like

Nice video, we made some acoustic panels for a streaming project and its a pain in the butt. Your’s look much better than ours! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the video. The panels look awesome , but I have a question. It’s mostly my lack of understanding about acoustic panels, but do they make a noteable difference in echo and sound absorption?

1 Like

With two small ones like this, probably not too much. They are really just to reduce the number of hard reflective surfaces in the room. Sometime in the future I plan to work with another member of the space to actually take measurements and assess the utility of the improvements. I incorporated a similar technique in the light panels I built for the ceiling as well.

Honestly, the biggest appeal for the project for me was that I could get rid of a little bit more of the materials I’ve accumulated over the last year or so from other projects.

4 Likes

I don’t know about these panels specifically, but they can make a huge difference. Rugs, curtains, and and soft furniture can help absorb sound too.

Clap your hands in your listening/theater room. Roughly speaking, if you hear a sharp echo or brief ringing sound, you could use some sound damping. You don’t need to have golden ears to notice these problems or enjoy remediation… They can be quite dramatic.

4 Likes

Nice, visually appealing panels, and the video is very nicely produced!

1 Like

Great project and great video! I don’t know why but I could help but let out a little laugh when the cheesy stapling music kicked in. Nice solution on the felt in the glowforge, wouldn’t of thought of using the pass through like that.

Impressive documentation. Thanks for much for sharing your cool work!