Question about adding electric to shed

I have a 10 x 16 shed in my yard. I’m thinking of turning it into a workshop for my GF.

There’s no electric at the present time. I know I’ll need enough power for outlets, lights, and a portable AC unit in addition to the GF. I tried searching the forum but I think I’m not using the correct search terms.

Anyone have a suggestion on how much power I would need to add?
Thanks!
Martha

2 Likes

Yep! It needs a grounded outlet with at least 800 watts power available, just for the Glowie. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

and for everything else, what you want to know what your highest/max/peak draw is - especially for AC, it uses WAY more power when it kicks in then when it’s humming along maintaining a temp,.
You don’t want your circuit popping every time it kicks on!
(That 800 for the :glowforge: is its peak draw)

For help in looking for it for other appliances, see how :glowforge: lists it on their Tech Specs page

2 Likes

I’d run 2 20A circuits. One for the lights & A/C and one for the GF and other outlets. You can run different circuits to different outlets or split each outlet so the tops are on one circuit and the bottoms are on the other. With lights being LED now, there’s no real load from lighting - it’s just what’s plugged into the outlets that will draw - and the A/C will probably use 15A by itself. The GF and exhaust fan and any other stuff would be fine on the other 20A circuit.

If you went with a split unit for A/C, you’d need a 240V circuit for that and then only really need 1 20A 120V circuit for the rest of the stuff like the GF.

8 Likes

Great, thanks so much!

3 Likes

Mr Cool makes a well regarded A/C split unit that can be self (or homeowner) installed - comes pre-charged with refrigerant that fills the piping after it’s all connected and a valve is opened.

If you do go that way, you can oversize the 240V circuit and split off a 120V in a sub-panel in the shed instead of running two separately from the house. You just have to be careful about the 240 wiring.

4 Likes

Ooo do you happen to have the model #? I’m in the hunt. The portable AC in my studio is taking up way too much floor space.

1 Like

I’ll keep it in mind! Thank you!

2 Likes

This is exactly how I’m setup. I love it.

My shed has two rooms, a front half and a back half. I keep the glowforge in the back half, ac’ed in summer and sometimes heated in winter to keep it from freezing.

In the front part I have a workbench with a standing desk for my pc and space to do laser/woodwork.

It’s great, I can open the doors wide and the front half is basically like being outside in my backyard.

4 Likes

I was actually thinking of adding another door, it only has one. When I upgrade to the Pro I’m going to want the ability to use the pass through. :grin:

2 Likes

I got this one for my studio and love it. Costco has other sizes as well
https://www.costco.com/mrcool-diy-18k-btu-mini-split-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-with-wi-fi-smart-controller.product.100573104.html

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

They have a few models. They range from 12,000 to 34,000 btu and SEER ratings up to 22 which is awesome for a self-installable large size a/c unit. They also have heat pump capability so you can warm the shop when the cold weather comes. You should be able to use the 12K unit for a 10x14’ shed.

2 Likes

Most are nowadays, but make sure the compressor is “inverter drive” or you will need to limit cooling capacity to what the space actually needs. If you have too much BTU with a non-inverter type compressor, the compressor will short cycle and burn itself out…

1 Like

The 3rd gen diy series is supposed to have inverter condensers.

1 Like

I’m a Mitsubishi man, myself. I have about 60K BTU for my 1500 Square Foot two level home. If I crank them all up full blast, I can get ice to form on the outside of all the double-pane windows. Mostly, they just idle along at a fraction of their maximum capacity. Cost a bit more, but I figure the lower duty cycle will make them last longer… and you never know, what with global warming and all, when having 3x more capacity than you actually need will actually be needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.