Question about attaching findings, etc

I made a pair of post wooden earrings and some wooden pins. I used E6000. However, the posts/pin part comes off too easily. They appear sturdy but pretty easy to take apart, and more than I feel comfortable with.

I’m going to try using an xacto knife to score the place where the part will be glued on. (I’ll experiment with it a bit and see what works.)

Anyone else already gone down this road and have advice? :slight_smile:

with earrings no but for glue joints that i need to be stronger i use the glowforge to engrave a small spot into the material to accept the glue and fitting. it might also be a good idea to rough up the glue surface of the pin to improve adhesion. if you could closer inspect how it is breaking like if it is breaking on the pin or wood side? or is the glue itself breaking but adhering to the parts? that will help you sort out the issue quicker

2 Likes

What material are you using?

Most Proofgrade material has a surface finish (which is why it costs more) that will prevent most adhesives from bonding with the underlying material.

2 Likes

For the pins, the glue completely came off the wood. I used proofgrade medium ply. I can’t remember if it was maple for sure, but it was whatever came with my machine.

The earrings were small earrings I made from jumbo popsicle sticks (got the idea from others, maybe here, or in the FB group I can’t remember). But they are pretty smooth too, I think.

That’s why I was thinking if I roughed up the surface with the xacto knife it might work better but I don’t know yet. I also considered sanding the entire back of the item, but i don’t want to make the whole backs of things feel rough. (Maybe just a light sanding would be adequate but not really change the way it feels to touch?)

1 Like

Deep sanding or scoring with an awl/exacto where the glue goes works very well. You definitely want to break up the surface finish.

2 Likes

Yes, the finish presents a barrier that prevents the wood from absorbing the adhesive. Roughing the surface will help a lot.

3 Likes

Today’s rabbit hole, brought to you by Ally’s lack of knowledge (which is ever-evolving): What is an awl? Hahahaha :joy: Now I know what those are called. Bwahahaha!

3 Likes

Sharp thing? :rofl:

2 Likes

Pokey bit.

2 Likes

Seriously, though, if you’re using PG, then a light engrave in those areas to remove the surface finish (as suggested by p_h above) would be best.

2 Likes

I probably would have called it a leather punch.
:smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks everyone!
I kinda feel bad now because I gave out these pins at my daughter’s party (for her last day of chemo) on Sunday. lol Oh well. I guess if anyone has an excuse to miss something like that, it would have been me (my friends will all understand). lol When I send the thank you note in the evite, maybe I’ll add a note that if anyone wants a new and improved version, to let me know and I’ll pop one in the mail. lol

4 Likes

And lesson 2: Don’t procrastinate and wait until the day before an event so you don’t have time to QA your product. LOL

3 Likes

Wishing you and your daughter the best!

3 Likes

Thank you!! Later I was planning to post a pic of the pins I made.

This is her pic :

15 Likes

She’s adorable! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you!! She’s the light of our family, such an amazing big personality in that little body. :smile:

2 Likes

Awwwwww, what a sweetie!

3 Likes

She’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you @ptodd and @cynd11! :heart_eyes:

1 Like