Question about box generator from Festi

Hey folks–I’m having an issue that I hope someone can help with. I need to make some custom boxes out of cardboard. I’ve checked out all the box generators and my favorite is the one at http://www.festi.info/boxes.py/, because of all the lid options and such.

Problem is, if you zoom way in to the inner corner of all the joints, I get a very strange inner curve that I’m pretty sure won’t cut well. I’d prefer it to be just a square cut. Here’s what I’m talking about:

innerjoint

Does anybody know if this is something controlled by one of the many options in the program? My cardboard thickness is 0.104" which is smaller that the default 3 mm, and I’m wondering if that’s what’s coming into play here.

Any help much appreciated!

2 Likes

Haven’t tried that one. That do look funky. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You might be able to take that into AI and just trim those off with the scissors tool pretty quickly…the lines don’t have to be joined.

1 Like

I noticed the overcuts from boxes.py a while ago (I use it a bunch); i don’t think it’s your material.

You can trim them down or leave them alone, the joints seem to work well either way (i’ve done both).

1 Like

Wouldn’t an over-cut pattern like that reduce charring at the right angle point, which can be particularly bad with materials like cardboard?

3 Likes

I just cut one of these out of plywood. I did have to join all the lines together but the wrong way radius corners didn’t effect the cut. It might be different in cardboard and it was a pain to join all the lines…

I think this is how the script generates and not a result of the material size.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! I’ll just go ahead and use the files then. Must be a feature, not a bug.

I have cut boxes of boxes using those scripts and although I see the file features, they’ve never been noticeable in (my) finished products. YMMV. :wink:

1 Like