Question about engraving slate

I was just reading this thread - Best visual or explanation of illustrator to inkscape scaling. Wonder if that would work? I also have a illustrator copy I can try to work with.

Thatā€™s just about sizing. The ONLY way to change how the image looks is to EDIT the image.

I went ahead and did it for you ā€“ hereā€™s one you can actually engrave:
CIA Seal

7 Likes

Inkscape export to png then engrave it.
Adobe reader open the PDF and screen shot it to engrave.

You are too nice! You shouldnā€™t have! I wasnā€™t ignoring your advice, just exploring the boundaries. That way I donā€™t waste time the next time. Thank you for the early Christmas present!

I actually think it looks better than the original.

3 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll also give this a try.

Both of those would still have it looking exactly like the original, which is what Iā€™ve been trying to explain. Thereā€™s NO means of converting the file thatā€™s going to make it LOOK any different than it already does, even if it makes it engravable.

1 Like

One of these days youā€™re gonna have to walk me through how you redrew it. Me not so good with graphics stuffs.

2 Likes

I agree, but how about a tutorial for all from the genius, @geek2nurseā€¦

1 Like

Hah. Itā€™s TEDIOUS.

1. Select ā€œall.ā€
  2. Adjust stroke width until it ā€œlooks rightā€ to you.
  3. Set stroke ends and corners to ā€œrounded.ā€
  4. Expand stroke (turns all the little segments into long thin ā€œhotdogā€ shapes).
  5. Select a group of tiny hotdogs that should be a complete shape.
  6. Boolean add them together. (This gives you the shape, but with a double boundary line.)
  7. Break apart (this makes each of the boundaries its own shape).
  8. Boolean add again (this combines them into a single shape with a single boundary).
  9. Repeat ad nauseum until everything in the design is a closed vector shape.
  10. Decide which shapes will be engraved.
  11. Select any shapes that are INSIDE the engraved shapes, bring them to the front, and boolean subtract them from the engraved shapes. Repeat across the entire design.
  12. Fill the shapes to be engraved with color, to make sure you didnā€™t miss any parts that needed to be subtracted.
  13. Put eyedrops in your aching eyes and give them a rest. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
4 Likes

Unfortunately my ADHD makes it difficult to handle tediousā€¦ oh look, a new tool!

What app are you using?

1 Like

Leverage that ability to hyperfocus. ā€œNormalā€ people donā€™t have it, just us ADHDers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My daughter is phenomenal at the hyper focus. Sheā€™s great on detail. If itā€™s something she wants to do.

2 Likes

Thank you, my son has ADHD and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so this would be prefect for him to doā€¦ :grinning:

1 Like

And THAT is the catch. :wink:

3 Likes

Tell me about itā€¦

1 Like

itā€™s all about their motivationā€¦

Interest first. That inspires the motivation. :wink: If you can get him interested in vector design, youā€™ll have it made!

1 Like