Question: cutting masonite in the GF

That’s the reason I stopped buying it. after I got a circular saw, I go to Pieterman lumber and buy sheets of the high quality woods instead of the smaller stuff. But they don’t have masonite at Pieterman lumber.

1 Like

I buy this stuff at Home Depot in Canada. It is the same on both sides. It’s cheap too. I buy large sheets and cut them up at home. It is just a tad under 1/8th inch.
It is really hard to paint however. It sucks up the paint in a splotchy fashion so it takes a lot of coats and a lot of patience.

I’ve read that masonite is different than MDF. It’s denser and uses a different binder glue, from what I understand. Masonite is also referred to as HDF. I’ve also read that the process of manufacturing masonite uses formaldehyde so it’s a good idea to properly ventilate or filter.

I have some 1/8" masonite that’s smooth on both sides but it was a gift so I don’t know where it came from. I also have a bunch of the type that’s rough on one side and smooth on the other, which has been salvaged from cheap bookshelves, cabinets, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip! This is great, it’s made from eucalyptus, and has no formaldehyde. I’ve read that a lot of masonite is manufactured using formaldehyde so we need to properly ventilate or filter when we cut.

3 Likes