Question: cutting masonite in the GF

I can sometimes be too literal. If a product description does or doesn’t mention something, I take that as the gospel truth until I know better.

I’m looking for a natural-sourced material for use as a paint pallet. Buyer wants it to be 1/8", doesn’t like the way a wood grain keeps the paint after first use, and wants the pallets in 3 different sizes. Right now I’m experimenting with a piece of draftboard, but it may require more sealing than is worth it to me.

I looked up masonite and found how it’s produced. Looks like it will not be hazardous under a laser. When I search for masonite in sizes that will fit, I keep being presented with ‘hardboard’ and MDF. Since the product descriptions don’t refer to masonite (which may be a trademarked term, thus conspicuously absent from the text), I’m assuming it’s not what I want.

So, 1) is hardboard/MDF => masonite? and 2) has anyone cut it in their Glowforge? [and what were the results]

Masonite is just hardboard, “strictly” produced by “wet” steaming vs. the dry press method. The “Mason” technique. Same stuff, but as with all things, there might be exceptions.

4 Likes

And to add to what @eflyguy said, it cuts like butter on the laser. I use it a lot.

4 Likes

@beerfaced and @eflyguy thank you both

1 Like

Home Depot has 1/8" hardboard that works nicely. It does involve cleaning your machine more often, it doesn’t burn too cleanly, but as stated above, cuts like butter and is very inexpensive.

3 Likes

Dick Blick art supply also carries it, and if memory serves it’s sold as a paint pallet. It cuts very nicely I’ve made many boxes from it in the past.

4 Likes

@timjedwards turned me on to this stuff – cuts beautifully in the GF, super cheap, and I think it would be perfect for this application:

It’s smooth on one side and kinda “fuzzy” on the other. Here’s a recent prototype I made from it, where you can see both sides of it:

8 Likes

If I could find a similarly cheap and unpainted variation that was smooth on both sides I’d be very happy!

4 Likes

I have seen 1/16" stuff smooth on both sides that was cut into earrings. I haven’t been able to source it though, but it does exist.

5 Likes

Ugh… that would be a dream material! HDF is much stronger than MDF…

3 Likes

it does exist. at least it did LONG ago. My dad made boards for use to play with playdough on when we were kids.

another option is the white board version. that way the one side is already sealed.

1 Like

Yes! I’d buy a 4x8 sheet of it if I could.

Menards sells a hardboard smooth on both side 1/8 thick in a 2x4 foot size. I have used it a lot and it works nicely.

5 Likes

The “Masonite” is also known as tempered hardboard. It comes smooth both sides or with a rough side. Check local lumber yards. They will usually cut a 4x8 sheet to fit your vehicle or a size you can manage.

1 Like

No luck so far around Austin, unless I get a painted version. But I haven’t looked lately.

I got some at the ReStore a few weeks ago; haven’t seen any since.

2 Likes

the Dick Blick stuff is smooth on both sides
I’ve ordered it many times

4 Likes

Blick’s is an amazing store!

2 Likes

dang, meant for this post to be somewhere else. Sorry.

The rough stuff I can get at $9 for a 4’x8’ sheet… Spoiled me.

1 Like