Question from a Newbie

Total newbie here, I haven’t even gotten my Glowforge yet (Feb 1st I’m told :grin:) Anyways, I was checking out the catalog and I see there is a 50% off sale going on right now. Does anyone know how long the sale is running and does Glowforge run sales often?
Thank you in advance!

Cheryl

2 Likes

If no one has the answer, support@glowforge.com will be the definitive source. I would email them now if I were you, it can take a day or two to get a reply.

In the meantime, here’s some recommended reading:

Studying can be a drag, but it’ll pay you back!

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing what you make :slight_smile:

7 Likes

check your local Michaels if they sell proofgrade / glowforge stuff, you can stack multiple discounts
and NOT PAY SHIPPING

:slight_smile:

Welcome to the group!

Jonathan

7 Likes

They’ve only been doing sales for a few months, so probably nobody has a good idea what to expect. From my observation I’d say there seems to always be something on sale although selection is limited. It’s a rotating array of material types. Like sometimes it will be certain sizes and colors of acrylic for example. If you see something you’d like, I wouldn’t count on it being on sale again for a few months.

5 Likes

Welcome, you’re going to have lot of fun with your GF.
They run sales on different materials semi-regularly. (The current one is hardwoods and leathers, there was one on specific acrylics, etc)

If you enjoy your premium trial and decide to continue that comes with a 20% discount all the time.

6 Likes

Are you meaning Michaels?

4 Likes

oops sorry typo fairy!

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I suspect that they have to buy in large quantities, and doing so need to get rid of slower selling stuff, they also had a special price on newly available types of materials (light plywood)or as was the case with the acrylic (they said) they got a super deal for a large quantity at the pre-covid price and passed on the savings.

Depending on your current abilities, if you are not familiar with a vector and a raster image editor, you do not need a glowforge in-house to start learning them. Inkscape is the key free software for vectors and Gimp is free also for raster graphics with both as powerful as expensive software and of course, everything is expensive in terms of the effort needed to learn how to use it.

That is why it is good to start that as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Lol, I knew what you meant :grin:
Thank you everyone, I will definitely check out Michaels! I’m excited to get started.

3 Likes

Also, JoAnns fabrics sells Glowforge materials as well I think.
Beyond that, there are many sources selling materials that work on a Glowforge.

3 Likes

do not, DO NOT DO NOT buy materials from ebay or etsy. they are a ripoff!!!

BEST baltic birch for the buck

1 Like

There are good and bad everywhere. Talking about specifics here will help a lot as among all of us there are not many places untried. I have overbought exotics that I need to use up, and as I frequently do deep relief carving PG medium is not the best deal.

If you want to just cut and assemble then PG can be the best deal.

2 Likes

in GENERAL. . . DO NOT buy from . … . . But YMMV. . . .

:slight_smile:

A dollar more than Ocooch for the same volume. very close

1 Like

you double the order, same shipping cost. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some of my best sources for material are on Etsy - yes there are definitely people charging way too much, but just don’t buy from them.

4 Likes

There are actually some excellent hardwood sellers with good prices on eBay that quite a few of us have purchased from.

5 Likes

There is always a jewel amongst the dung, and those jewels are a wonderful find.
But then again, all… that… dung…

The entire internet? perhaps

1 Like