Question regarding design file

Fun to watch! :smile:

(I’m wondering how long the same item would take at highest resolution…not in a negative way…just curiosity. I know there’s a non-linear relationship between the quality you choose and time it takes to process it from working in 3D printing. Your time estimation algorithm seems to be a lot more accurate at the low ranges than what S3D puts out, so “Good job!” to whoever coded that!) :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I got a chance to watch on a bigger screen and I’m loving the interface and how it looks like it works.

I notice how when you switch from cut to engrave, it automatically changes that object to remove the stroke and add the fill.

So based on what we see here, each object in the source drawing can be identified as a cut or a fill, in which case, it will utilize either the stroke or the fill for the object (but not both). And, based on the colors, as it imported the image, it sorted the objects into different categories based on their stroke color (i.e. it set the red line as one cut and the blue lines as another cut, and in this file, ignored the green fill of the outer circle.)

Question - If I wanted this to be a stamp, is there a way to automatically invert the fill such that the negative space is engraved? Might be a good one for the hopper if not. Otherwise there’s an added step of having an extra object in the drawing to specifically define that fill/engrave.

Thanks again! The amount of time you spend on us forum-dwellers is awesome and we appreciate it!

5 Likes

Engrave first. It would have done that automatically, but that engrave defaulted to a cut and I changed it to an engrave, so it was on me to put it where I want it. But the default is utterly negligible - just a tiny focus change when it drops down into place.

The reason it defaulted to a cut was because he put both a fill and stroke on the engraving, and when that happens, it defaults to the stroke behavior, which is cutting. Easy to change though, as you saw.

Yes.

Doubling the resolution takes twice as long. [quote=“Jules, post:21, topic:3217”]
Your time estimation algorithm seems to be a lot more accurate at the low ranges than what S3D puts out, so “Good job!” to whoever coded that!)
[/quote]

Thanks! It’s fun - I can be on my laptop, see it hit zero, and hear the fans spin down at that exact moment.

Exactly!

Great hopper suggestion!

18 Likes

That is wicked cool :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh my…this just tickled me to see this. It is going to be SO cool! Thank you! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you for these detailed efforts. They are really awesome to see what a little effort can do.

1 Like

Thanks for showing some more of the cloud software. It looks like there’s an increasing number of options to adjust. Also, I did appreciate the 1x speed videos. I imagine it made it easier to upload as well since little to no editing was necessary.

3 Likes

OK. I just hope there is enough time in the day to do start drawing out all of my ideas before my GlowForge moves in.

4 Likes