Here is a list of questions pulled from a geekwire article debate that I didnt have all the answers to. Maybe @Dan or other glowforge staff can clear some of these up?
- Custom Tube: Designed by who? to what criteria? Resonator Physics is an applied science and not just a case of making a glass pipe with a couple of mirrors in it, to design a new tube takes a LOT of money and time.
Is it just another buzzword to market a batch order of tubes from TongLi with a glowforge sticker on them then charge propriety prices for replacements because nothing else will fit. (something like a 75mm diameter body or such like)
- How long will the machine run for before it’s too hot to use? what cooling is possible to get rid of the 90% latent heat produced by a DC tube?
- How long is that TINY filter going to last when it’s used to cut MDF? are replacement filters expensive? if so,how much?
- What’s the fire resistance rating of that plastic case? how easy will it be to get a tube if one fails? what model do they have for shipping fragile glass tubes round the world?
- How many lens’s do they have available as replacements? How do you go about cleaning the thing when it’s covered in crap? where is the raised emergency stop that is required by law on Laser Cutters (see the above about UIN numbers)
- When an HT arc has nowhere to go it can jump a good distance, what earthing is there?
- Are things like optics and tubes user serviceable?