Questions from GF Skeptics on FB

@dan mentioned yesterday that the basic will run continuously for an hour at ambient of 70 degrees. Only difference he mentioned for pro was that it would cut 20% faster than the basic and run longer, no real soecifics

Thanks,

I found that now. I wonder why I didnā€™t see that thread in my new or unread list

I always default to ā€œlatestā€ and that gets everything up. Iā€™m obsessive about keeping up and making sure there are no bold topics almost every day to keep the list of catch up small.

2 Likes

So does the basic come with a ā€œwater pail chillerā€ or other basic pump circulator? Has that been announced? I donā€™t expect it to be a full-on A/C chiller, just wondering if the in/outlet lines will be there.

Totally self contained sealed pump and reservoir inside the Glowforge. The Basic uses passive cooling by pumping a fluid through an aluminum block. Nothing external. In the case of the pro there is an additional active Peltier cooling system inside the unit.

Here are my thoughts concerning run time. I am fortunate to own two Universal laser systems at $15k a piece. Any long running projects such as large engraving pieces I will still do on those since they are rated for that.
I am getting the Glowforge Pro for smaller quick projects at events such as christsmas ornaments, name tags, customer drawn items using the trace feature etc. I will probably also have a lot of blank shapes cut on the bigger machines that I can then put in the Glowforge for personalization on the spot. I dont see using the Glowforge for a full time laser simply because of its time heating constraints and the longevity of the filterā€¦
I may be wrong and it may be more durable that I expect but Ive seen the ideas of what some people are hoping it can acheive and worry they may become disappointed that it cant compare to a full industrial sized more expensive laser system.

I hope, honestly to be proven wrong ā€¦what say you @dan ?

4 Likes

Hmmmm. I have a feeling that Iā€™m going to be buying some tubing, in-line connectors, and possibly even making a few holes in my GF caseā€¦

There are only maybe three areas where the Glowforge technologies were risky. Cooling, a flying laser tube, and the integration of the high resolution camera. Cooling was the one that concerned me the most. But according to this comment last month, sounds good. [quote=ā€œdan, post:78, topic:1441ā€]
Cooling tests are still looking great.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Yes - cooling system is coming up daisies so far in testing. Ditto the flying tube. It was strange that the power supply turned out to be far more challenging, taking months longer than planned, but you never know where the curve balls are going to come from. Fortunately the worst of that is behind us, and while weā€™re still doing some fine tuning on the PS, weā€™ve got the design working well now.

10 Likes

I left the group pretty promptly - couldnā€™t be bothered to argue!

A tribute to your skill with a crystal ball. (and the lessons youā€™ve taken)
Unexpected delays are to be anticipated, and the fact that you are still on schedule tells me you had allowed sufficient time in your prediction to absorb the unknowns. Sometimes a minor inconvenience, sometimes a middle out of the night.
After some of the start-up nightmares I have read of, we are all so glad you werenā€™t new to the game.

1 Like

ā€œThere are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we donā€™t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we donā€™t know we donā€™t know.ā€ ā€“ Donald Rumsfeld.

Huh, I think I get this nowā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

What about unknown knowns? :wink: gotta finish all of the 2 bit options :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know.
I know what I know.
I know what I know I know.
I know what I know I donā€™t know.
I donā€™t know what I donā€™t know.
I donā€™t know what I donā€™t know I donā€™t know.
I know I donā€™t know what I know I donā€™t know.
I donā€™t know what I donā€™t know I know.
I donā€™t know.

8 Likes

Read that enough times and you will forget the definition of Know. Say it enough times and you will forget how to spell it.

5 Likes

An unknown known would be when you have no idea that something you already know is even applicable in the current context!

3 Likes

The source of the quote and the situation referred to deserves lots of attention. Some powerful illustrations of why self-awareness and assessment of cognitive biases are not just a fun things to do in philosophy or psychology classes.

2 Likes

And happens all the time in the context of, ā€œoh yeah, thatā€™s right.ā€

3 Likes

Hahaha, exactly!
I never saw that word before in my lifeā€¦:no_mouth: