Quick gift book with rhinestones

I’ve been sicker than a dog this last week. The boy child had a birthday party to go to, so I had to pull up my big girl panties and figure out a gift. She likes to draw so I thought a sketch pad would be nice. Of course I own a GF so…
I also have a bunch of rhinestone fonts from Synergy 17 and rhinestones (hot fix, like for t-shirts) and I got this idea. What if I only lasered enough material to set the rhinestones down in? Turns out, it worked fairly well!
Sketch pad was a $5 one from Michael’s. Because I was using actual SS10 rhinestones I had to size the design to make the holes 3mm. I used 20% power at full speed the first time (wasn’t enough) and 50% power at full speed the second time. Picked the layers out with a hook tool (it looks just like a dental hook) and removed the mask (blue painters tape). Brushed the rhinestones in and heat pressed it (325 degrees for 12 secs, checked & pressed again for 5 secs more). The stones are definitely down in the cover and will be protected from side impact. I’m excited to try other inlay projects with rhinestones now.
002|375x500

36 Likes

Great use of the forge and thinking outside the box with other disciplines!

4 Likes

I also love when people come up with new ways to use the GF. This is pretty… I bet she loved it!

3 Likes

Wow, way to bling it up!

2 Likes

Inlaying them was a great idea!

2 Likes

Cute font and fabulous idea!

2 Likes