Quilt Block Key Holder

How do you hold it down?

4 Likes

I saw this done at a Japanese festival with paper. It looked amazing when it was done.

5 Likes

Dang it. This is amazing. Just doesn’t stop the creativity and new laser uses.

5 Likes

Hold the fabric down if needed with flat weights…thickest I did was 3 layers…could probably to 4-5 with a 45 wt. It was cotton broad cloth…thin and ironed flat.

5 Likes

Cool. As my heart valves have gotten more complicated (now they are shaped like real valves) I’ve had to really work on the crazy pattern of order of cuts to keep things from blowing around. The problem with adhesive is silicone doesn’t stick to a whole lot…

5 Likes

I actually used that cut order in a couple of places too - it helps if you have it cut the ones closest to the front of the machine first…they get blown all to hell, but they go forward instead of backwards into the future cut path.

Then just move the cutting towards the back of the machine. Keeps from getting partial cuts on the back items, and cutting up pieces you need that get in the way.

5 Likes

Totally amazing! I have quilted and would love one of these as decor in my craft room, and so would my sister for hers. Wow! Wow! Wow!

4 Likes

What an imagination ! Truly. Keep it up @jules…please.

3 Likes

Sweet! Is there wood backing for those hooks?

1 Like

No I just screwed them in, reversed them out and added a wad of hot glue into the hole. Then screwed them in again.

If you wanted to make something that would last forever you could put a wooden backing on it, but if it’s just a display piece and not a functional key holder, you don’t really need it. I made a full-sheet sized one a decade ago for my folks and it’s held up extremely well.

And I’ll probably change my mind a couple of times before a decade is up on this one. :wink:

4 Likes

What the what!? I had to read twice to get this - amazing!

4 Likes

I don’t remember seeing mention of this anywhere through the thread, but I wonder if a light coat of spray adhesive on some sacrificial cardboard would be beneficial?

2 Likes

It’s something I’d thought about…there’s a spray called Krylon Repositionable Adhesive #7020 that we used to refresh the stickiness on the digital cutting mats…if I were doing a lot of fabric, I’d make an adhesive cutting mat out of a cheap bamboo cutting board or a sheet of 1/8" plywood sprayed with a couple of coats of that.

(For a small project though, it was just quicker to run the tape across the back.)

And i forgot to mention that I did apply a masking paper tape to the back of the fabric to stabilize it and to cut down on the stinky char actually getting on the fabric. Pee-eww!

4 Likes

This is so creative… thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

3M and Loctite have similar products available at the big box home stores. Be careful because they have low/med/high tack adhesive versions and you definitely want the low. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wow-wee! I’ve never seen anything like this before! Soo cool!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this method before andit would solve a ton of problems I was anticipating for a project I wantto Forge. Thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like