Quilting Applique

I have continued using the Glowforge to cut out the applique pieces for quilting. Started a project using a rather complex design by Ricky Tims (Hungarian Rhapsody). MOst of the applique pieces are repeated four or more times, so cutting with a laser would simplify the work. I used quilting software (Art & Stitch) to trace the pattern pieces and convert them to svg files. The fabric is a heavy cotton, hand dyed, and has a fusible backing applied to it. This keeps it flat for cutting. I sprayed a medium draftboard with repositionable photo adhesive and placed the prepared fabric on it. This keeps the small cut out pieces from blowing around inside the glowforge. They peel right off the masking on the draftboard when done. The pictures show some of the fabric being cut out (speed 500, power 75) , and a small part of the quilt top with the applique applied and sewn. Its only the first 2 of 34 parts, so this may take a while, but I don’t think I could get it done without the Glowforge.

61 Likes

Wow! That is complex…beautiful results! :grinning:

1 Like

Yahooo! Nice job!

1 Like

Wonderful! Your quilt is going to be stunning.

I recently told a quilter friend that she could use my 'Forge to do fussy cuts for applique and she absolutely lit up. My husband keeps thinking I should be able to get an embroidery machine that will allow me to cut the SVGs on the laser and then applique them automatically using the same SVG in an embroidery machine. I think it’s possible, but have no idea how expensive of a machine it would take to do it.

2 Likes

The software I am using to generate my svg files for the glowforge is actually embroidery/quilting software, and will generate directions for both the Brother embroidery machine I use, and my Handiquilter computer controlled long arm. I haven’t tried it yet, the difficulty would be alignment. Usually when using an embroidery machine for applique, you use a fabric piece that is larger than needed, then cut around the edges.

Al

2 Likes

All prices for sure. Single needle machines which can be used for sewing, as well. Multi-needle machines only embroider.

It is a fun addiction. Bought my last embroidery machine the same month as the Glowforge. It retailed for $13k at that time. Thread, hoops, specialty attachments, etc, etc. Software is pricey, unless its lowest-end. The spending never stops! Very cool though.

If you only want to do smaller projects, there are a lot of quality used machines out there. If you don’t want to create your own designs, there are a lot of designs to buy. Or lower end software that allows you to enjoy the craft.

3 Likes

You ought to show some pics of your work @ptodd… I had thought about getting one once, but decided it was definitely priced out of my league for hobby use. (Funny how the laser was so much less expensive than good embroidery machines and software. I’ve got no sympathy for people kvetching about not getting enough of a discount on the Glowforge. We got this thing for a song.) :smile:

2 Likes

When I first learned about home machines. Bought a used one for $3,500. The next machine was $7k new, the next, $11k new … With trade in of the prior machine (did get $2,200 software for free that time).

When I traded in the last time … I was in love with my machine … And saddened to let it go. The new one is amazing … But the last was still the heart winner. I’ve done so many software upgrades … Very painful. Not required, of course, but when new features come out … It can be a “must have”.

Standing firm … My last machine, and last software upgrade. Even bravely told my husband that!

Will hunt down some pictures tonight.

Yes, when someone says how they paid big dollars for their Glowforge … I just think … They don’t want to know!

3 Likes

@Jules … I’m sure you will never say I should post some pics, ever again! Tried to choose some favorites. Sorry for the overkill!

Purchased designs … shirt for my husband.
Took a leaf, scanned it, cleaned up the image, turned the veins into stitches, and created an organza applique for a centerpiece.
Mitts for sister that always used to host July 4th.
Photo stitch of a friend’s kids. (Before you had option to do in color).
Photo stitch of my daughter and her fiance … in honor of their engagement. Added heat-set pearls. (They just celebrated 10 years yesterday)!
Fall wall hanging … purchased designs.
Bib for grandson, added heart imprints to the font. (Bib was made in the hoop … other than top-stitching).
Created a large hotpad (didn’t do the absolute center design).
Onesie … purchased design.
Bag of snowballs ( purchased designs).
Three different sets of hotpads … purchased center designs.
Morning glory coasters for table. (Purchased design)
Halloween cat (purchased design).
Cosmos coasters for table.
Easter egg holders for table … for grandkids.
Quilt I made for a dear friend … purchased design in center … freebie to do the heart detail border.

2015-12-20%20Snowballs%20in%20bag2011%20Nov%20Walk%20in%20the%20Woods%20Wallhanging

10 Likes

Wowie Zowie! Are you a professional? :grinning:

I ask because my brother in law had a concession at Six Flags for years (it’s how he made his living, and his son as well) and his stuff wasn’t nearly that good on a 40,000$ machine.

That’s incredible! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thank you. No, not a professional … just love crafting. I have always refused to do it for a living. Feel like it will take the fun out of it. Choosing the fabric and the thread gives projects their life.

I’ve seen some really ugly professional designs … and once the recommended thread colors were adjusted … they were stunning.

It is fun. Card making and coloring with Copics … it is fun. Silhouette projects … fun. The Glowforge spellbinds me just like the embroidery machine always has.

5 Likes

I’m certain he was buying all his designs…he never did get into the design side. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t say that I’ve made a lot of designs … but, it’s so nice to be able to do major tweaks to something. Being able to personalize to a person’s taste, or interest is the fun part.

We should all have more time to craft!

2 Likes

You can scan anything and turn it into stitches though. It’s not quick when you don’t do it all the time though.

Design is never quick even if you do it all the time. (Tough to come up with anything that hasn’t been done a dozen times already.)

Well, you have an incredible mastery of color. All of your choices just seem to “perk” together. :smile:

They’re perky.

1 Like

Thank you. Couldn’t find a photo … but it was relatively simple design work …

My Mom used to come every December, and my youngest sister. (I always get my sister into some new (expensive) craft). Bad sister! Any way, Mom wanted to sew up some skirts and blouses. We made three of each.

The project I don’t have a photo of … she had various snowflakes on a skirt. We scanned the fabric, and made matching snowflakes to stitch on the blouse we made. It was extra fun … because it was with them … and for Mom, of course!

Didn’t get my sister convinced that she needed a Glowforge … but, she was tempted!

2 Likes

Heh-heh! Work on her - you can get her a discount and score a credit at the shop to boot!

(My sister’s into music, not crafting. It’s a pity - she absolutely causes anything tech to explode in her hands.) :smile:

1 Like

Well, we do need music in our life! :slight_smile:

Yes, we do, and you just reminded me…she’s written a concerto that I need to hound her into letting me hear. Mom says it’s incredible.

I wonder if she’s still up? Hmmmmn…

2 Likes

Your projects are beautiful! I’m not sure I understand how you use the Glowforge though. Can you explain? I have an embroiderey machine also and am curious how you can use both. Thanks! Patti