R2D2 on 6mm ply

Absolutely, like I said, It’s theirs, they are allowed to do with it as they like, even if I don’t like it. Great comparison, though. Two polar ends of the spectrum, same result! Though I do have a little more of an issue with Disney since they will pillage public domain properties and then act like their IPs are never allowed to enter the public domain. (Can you tell this is a sore spot with me :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s one of those things I’m often torn about. I’ve made copyright stuff for myself of friends and it’s not the people making the items I really have a problem with. I don’t think it really hurts the companies/owners in the long run and might even benefit them with advertising. It’s the profit the file maker is getting that I have ethics problem with. To be completely honest, I’m a little more sensitive about ones like this becasue I belong to groups where several folks blatantly brag about and advertise copied and ripped-off art and files for sale and that’s what pisses me off the most. Tracing someone’s work for profit doesn’t make you talented, it makes you a thief.

I think the Lucas franchise had the right idea and understood the fan base than prompted copy-cat art helped them in the long run. Beware Disney though, they come after even small guys tooth and nail and will take you to court. I know a few Facebook folks who received cease and desist letters from them and they weren’t paying around. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

An R2 unit showed up in my yard this afternoon.

33 Likes

Freaking awesome! :smile:

3 Likes

like 1 million times

3 Likes

A definition of property implies boundaries. The owner has to make an effort to protect the boundaries or it by definition will turn into public property. So all producers are in our western legal culture are entitled and somewhat obligated to police the boundaries.

You just don’t have to be a jerk about it. And you could contribute a bit more to giving back to the public for free some of the imagery that the public made so valuable.

Oh yes, and don’t pay lobbyists to keep extended copyright terms longer and longer.

7 Likes

Just found this one recently , yours is better

20 Likes

Oh, I like that!

2 Likes