Ramadan Lamp

Made this for a work colleague for Ramadan. She invited us over for dinner to break the fast. All 6 people invited are vaccinated. Feels good getting back to some semblance of normal social activity.

The original design is linked below. The pic on the link doesn’t match the associated SVG file. So the following comment is for the SVG file.

I just couldn’t understand how it was supposed to work as a lamp given the number of “connectors” holding the cutouts together. The connectors would block most of the light. I decided to replace them with dowels cut on my miter saw. Made it into a simpler design to assemble and dissemble for storage (no glue used as holes adjusted for kerf) and increase the light output.

Ramadan Lamp

68 Likes

What a gorgeous design, especially with the light!

9 Likes

That is lovely! What does it say?

4 Likes

Ramadan Kareem. Some people use this greeting instead of Ramadan Mubarak. I just know the basics that during the 9th month of the year all holy scriptures were given to humanity via the Prophets. So its celebrated as a month of fasting, enlightenment and expressing thanks to God.

edit: didn’t realize it while typing but changed man to humanity… faith is gender neutral :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wow that is such a thoughtful gift, I’m sure they will treasure it! I’m looking forward to being able to spend time with friends after jabbing!

5 Likes

NIce gift! The design is very thoughtful and well executed! Terrific!

3 Likes

Love the look of the light reflecting on the background. Very pretty!

3 Likes

This beautiful gift will help to further much needed tolerance, inclusion, and respect for diffrent faiths.
I like that you did not simply reproduce the original design, but rather decided to improve on it based on your judgement.
Congratulations!

5 Likes

Thank you.

Really lovely! I know the recipients were thrilled to get it!

3 Likes

That’s decent! Masha’allah

2 Likes

Good call on your updates to the design. Lovely gift.

2 Likes