RC Glider

Can’t wait to see it!

@matt22 That’s a beautiful glider. I used to watch them fly in Germany–it takes some serious piloting skills.

2 Likes

Yes, I fly full size gliders as well. The full size ones are quit

e elegant.

11 Likes

Very cool.

I hold a GA state record (2-place, ASK21)…

423397_387964364550210_494306986_n_387964364550210

12 Likes

Nice. I learned to fly in a K21.

2 Likes

So cool, and excited to see the flight results! Great project.

2 Likes

Amazing. Envy the work and talent.

That’s beautiful work. I used to fly slope soarers years and years ago, and am delighted to see this stuff. Being able to “print” repair parts would have been a game changer!

Simply WOW

Thanks. Now we just need a 3D hot wire foam cutter!

1 Like

How about cutting with an electric chainsaw instead?

4 Likes

They are out there but the Glowforge of hotwire cutting has not arrived yet so you can DIY or PAY.
A great alternative that I might try is to make templates (can you say glowforge?) and then just cut with a bow wire cutter.

2 Likes

A-ma-zing!

Brilliant!

Really beautiful, I love that you can see the internal structure.

Wow! Nice job.

Hi Matt, would you so kind and send me the numbers you used to cut the balsa. I own a glowforge plus. TIA

Since wood is variable you’ll still need to verify settings work - and if you use the search function you’ll find the answer to your question:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?expanded=true&q=balsa%20%23beyond-the-manual

3 Likes

This is what worked for me:

for 1/8" balsa: S=500, P=full (45w), 1 pass
for 1/16" balsa S=500, P=95, 1 pass
for 1/2" balsa (wing tips) S=365, P=full, 3 passes
for 1/16" bass ply gussets, etc. S=400, P=full, 1 pass

2 Likes

We’re only allowed to have no PG settings posted in Beyond the Manual, so I’ve moved your post.

Here is an early flight of the hand launch RC glider “Feather” after a little tuning. Looks like it’s going to thermal well, given the chance.

Matt

9 Likes