Real World Example of image placement results

lol, one of my long-term goals is to build my own pinball machine from scratch (or two, or three… or…) :smile: Thinking the Glowforge will be handy in that project.

4 Likes

A real 3D printer would make more of it, see https://all3dp.com/3d-printed-pinball-machine/

2 Likes

true, but I’m taking it one step at a time. :smile: cool link! I think I will bookmark that for future reference.

I was about to be offended and say young people like pinball too… then I remembered I’m 30 now. :expressionless:

9 Likes

That is excellent news. It’s a small thing, but usability-wise it will make a very big difference to a lot of people.

3 Likes

If you need inspiration, just look at the fellas that did the PinBox 3000 Kickstarter. I’m pretty sure that there’s going to be plenty of Glowforge owners with piles of cardboard laying around. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know it was very important for your work, almost a requisite.

1 Like

I did the same thing. Early 30s here and still getting used to not being ‘young’ anymore. Young in heart certainly, but the body is beginning to be more vehniment in it’s disagreement.

3 Likes

Ironically, Happy Cake Day! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yea, I’ve liked their work. Wanted to back it a while back, but wife said no :smile:

FWIW, they prototyped a bunch of design sizes before settling on the medium-size for their kickstarter. I think there might be one with no part bigger than 12x20. I know the playfield can be cut that way, because that’s on my list of things to do with the gf.

(Hmm, should I ask them and ask @dan about having a version in the catalog?)

You could ask them, but I’m going to bet that they’ll politely decline. Considering that they make the most profit by selling the cardboard pinbox kits, if they lent out an already complete cutsheet of their design then they pretty much kill their market.

That could just be the pessimist in me, though.

I was thinking that if the catalog does have an option for designs that just get cut (with personalizations) rather than downloaded and kept permanently they might like that. Distribution and shipping are a big pain for them (which is why, for instance, sales almost entirely in the US and Canada until recently). So if a single-shot design were to sell for close to what they make after manufacturing and shipping and wholesaler discount and the cost of their time trucking around everywhere, it would be a net win.

If memory serves, they approached us at a Maker Faire about exactly that!

11 Likes