REALLY NOW -- how important is it to keep the laser tube clean?

Every post, every video show ways to clean the laser tube, floss it, wash it, compressed air, pipe cleaners, etc – but really DOES IT BEING CLEAN have anything to do with function or is JUST cosmetic? – Opinions?

Jonathan

4 Likes

Just cosmetic. I clean mine occasionally just because of the aesthetic effect, and so I can eyeball the beam.

12 Likes

Shining up the tube is like shining up the engine block in your car; Looks pretty but yields no additional performance, and you increase the chance of accidentally damaging other stuff in the process (especially if you don’t know what you’re doing).
But if enough people are looking under the hood, and you take your time, it may well be worth it for you.

12 Likes

The people obsessed with cleaning the things beyond the optics, fans and exhaust are often the ones who often break/loosen/put-something-on-backwards in the process and then need help getting their machines working again. I like my tools to look nice but to me its just not worth the risk. I do wipe the top of the tube and the inside lid regularly as their level of dirty seems to coincide with the dirtiness of optics.

12 Likes

Gears, belts, optics, crumb tray, fans, rail track, all the stuff with impact potential.
Not going to show a picture of my tube (it is that bad, heh heh).

In the beginning I used the dirt on the tube to judge if the machine needed another cleaning. So if you need an excuse to do so, there it is.
However, I found there are better clues.
Then again, I never saw a reason to wash my car engine either, so…

4 Likes

There is the alternative route. Put masking tape over everything that you is not easy to clean.

I’ve done this to the tube, some of the cables, the inside of the front door.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one who has dirty tube :smiley: I use machine 5-8 hours 5 days a week…

3 Likes

My mother would have a comment about your GF!
(what part of Brooklyn?) (Born and raised in Brighton beach)

Jonathan

1 Like

and @Deleted That’s a clean machine compared to mine! I leave a thin strip of clean glass on the tube so I can enjoy watching the “pew pews”.

My mother would say something like “you can laser potatoes in that thing”

1 Like

I live like few stops from Brighton Beach :slight_smile:

kings Highway?? how long you stompin my streets??? :slight_smile:
which is your 7-eleven?
what diner is your fav?

Short answer - NOT

Most of us clean the tubes strictly for esthetics. I can’t find it at the moment, but @dan once mentioned that they had a no-clean policy at the mothership. That was a few years ago during development, so they might have changed since then. Knowing them, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find they still have some very dirty units in Seattle.

I have seen some youtube videos, where the people have not cleaned their machines in MONTHS, and there is a layer of dirt and the unit keeps working fine, I think its the ‘new car complex’ the newer the car, the more you wash it

:stuck_out_tongue:
Jonathan

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.