Realtime Remote Monitoring of GF

Well currently 3h 45min into the compiling of FFMPEG the second go around. The first time I couldn’t figure out how to uninstall NGINX (which was used in the failed attempt at getting FruitNanny working)

At this point I’ll just be happy to get the camera going. At a later point I’ll peek into the JS source code from FruitNanny and figure out how to call, & store the data from the DHT22 humidity/temp sensor to display it monitoring screen.

It’s nearly 2am so I’m going to let FFMPEG finish compiling while I sleep and perform the install in the morning. Right now I’ve got php installed and working, so I’m currently further ahead than I was 12 hours ago.

I just use a WIFI webcam when I have to walk away so I can check in on it. I don’t feel comfortable leaving for too long even with that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That’s what I’m building, except with more functionality, less cost, less lag and a smaller foot print without the need to install a proprietary Chinese App (which some of the $40 chinese wifi cameras require). I’m into it for $77 w/ s&h included. And I’ve learned a lot. Plus I’ll have the ability to stream within my network, outside my network, to YouTube, DropBox etc. I’ll be able to duplicate the same project and put one in my FlashForge Creator Pro 3d printer, and additionally can use them as security cameras.

Got the install done and can tell that the Raspi is sending the data. Just need to tinker with it a bit. This page has been helpful:

[https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45368](
Streaming Raspberry Pi Camera H264 into HTML over RTMP)

It works, this got it going. Just need to get the image focused. I upped the bandwidth to 1.3mbps and I have LESS than a quarter of a second of delay.

raspivid -t 9999999 -w 960 -h 540 -fps 25 -b 500000 -vf -o - | ffmpeg -i - -vcodec copy -an -f flv -metadata streamName=myStream tcp://0.0.0.0:6666

1 Like

So the tutorial I followed (http://www.toptechboy.com/tutorial/low-cost-raspberry-pi-ip-camera/ runs the FFMPEG as a FLV (Flash Video) which is only compatible with desktops (doesn’t work on Android / iOS).

The one upside is that while it does require a desktop PC (because of the Flash requirement) it runs with very minimal lag, and I’ve been streaming non-stop, slightly sub-HD (920x540) @ 25FPS for around 5.5hours and the Raspi temp hasn’t risen above 41* C (102*F). Seems stable.

While I do have a working streaming live IP webcam it won’t stream to my Android phone. So, I scrounged up another 16GB micro SD card and am installing a second copy of NOOBS onto it to attempt another tutorial which uses NGINGX & RaspiMJPEG to make the Raspberry Pi Camera Web Interface https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface. This is an entirely browser based camera control system for both static images and streaming video.

The installation luckily seems the most straightforward of all the ones I’ve attempted thus far. I’ll update with progress as I go.

1 Like

ummmm…yeah. Assuming you don’t value your time in $ :slight_smile: I’ve got a $50 Logitech camera mounted to the shelf above my GF and streaming through the laptop that’s used for design.

But I didn’t get to play with RPI or noodle around with cool sensors and builds :smile:

That’s what I was doing before, with a Logitech C920 (embedded H264 processor) and a netbook running YAWCAM. I feel it’s a waste to have the netbook running all the time just to stream a camera, not to mention that even with the c920 I was occasionally getting artifacts as the netbook couldn’t keep up with the load (pathetic). This’ll result in less power draw, and I can just leave it plugged into my UPS as it has switched outlets that turn on when it detects load on the master outlet. I can program the Raspi to autorun /self-start the camera at power on. Aall things being equal the cost of my netbook and the camera is about quadruple that of the Raspi Cam.

I hear you about the value of my time. The upside is that I am learning about something that I’ve wanted to for the last few years. I’ve got a number of other projects that a Raspi will be used in (automatic wardriving, gps tripmeter/speedo w/ OLED display, quadcopter/drone/target(ISS) auto-tracking antenna array)

1 Like

I did that with a Christmas gift for my wife. I was building a moving art frame controlled by an arduino nano that had me miss two other gifting occasions - it was originally intended to be a birthday gift and then an anniversary gift but then I got it all working the week before Christmas…I was getting worried it’d end up a Valentine’s present :smile:

1 Like

Welp, that was about 100 times easier than I had expected. Anyone else that wants to do the Raspi Cam setup should do a fresh install of NOOBS and just load up the Raspberry Pi Cam Web Control.

The setup from TopTechBoy, while it works, takes a long while (several hours, due to the compile of FFMPEG).

the Rapsberry Pi Cam Web Control from formatting the microSD card through install and working streaming cam took like two hours tops, and had ZERO issues. It literally just works.

6 Likes