Refreshingly new living situation, potential challenges

I am writing in hopes of some advice and ideas.

Gosh, as you all know - a lot can happen in 2 years. This spring, after deliberation on what my next life steps should be, I bought an RV. A 26 foot travel trailer to be exact. I am, moving from a career in corporate graphic design to making art, while experiencing the beauty of our natural places… the optimal goal would be to make said art on the road with my unit.

My Glowforge has a place in that new home, if all goes according to plan.

I upgraded to an unlimited data plan for the wifi connection, I envision using the 20 amp outlets on the campground pedestal (rather than plugging in through the coach), and I am doing some serious brainstorming on leveling the device. (wouldn’t this be a nice base for the table?)

I also figure that if the machine is being shipped, it can handle some motion, while en route to various locations. Headquarters recommended storing it in the original shipping box/replacing any internal shipping materialsAny thoughts on safeguarding the machine while moving?

I hope those are most of the basics, and wanted to reach out to the community to make sure that I am not missing something so significant for operating the machine in this type of environment.

Thanks so much for any thoughts you have about this, and I am so excited and thrilled for the day that I get my hot little hands on my Glowforge. My GF has a place in that new home, if all goes according to plan.

I upgraded to an unlimited data plan for the wifi connection, I envision using the 20 amp outlets on the campground pedestal (rather than plugging in through the coach), and I am doing some serious brainstorming on leveling the device. (wouldn’t this be a nice base for the table?)

I also figure that if the machine is being shipped, it can handle some motion, while en route to various locations. Perhaps by putting in the packing foam bumpers back inside? But I have some reservations there. Any thoughts on safeguarding the machine while moving?

I hope those are most of the basics, and wanted to reach out to make sure that I am not missing something so significant for operating the machine in this type of environment. (I ordered a Pro)

Thanks so much for any thoughts you have about this, hivemind; and I am so excited and thrilled for the day that I get my hot little hands on my Glowforge.

21 Likes

Seems like one of the primary concerns would be excess vibration from it being jostled around that might “loosen” things up over time but that’s just conjecture and I’d be surprised if anyone did that kind of testing.

Other items would be temperature inside the RV. Will you have AC running when parked at the campground? If not, you might need a cooling system of kind. They look to be targeting less than 80 degrees ambient.

The last thing that pops to mind is having a level surface. Having been to a fair number of campgrounds you may end up parking on a slight incline pretty often, so yes I’d think you’d want to devise a table with some adjustments that would let you get it level in the X and Y.

Sounds like an awesome adventure though! I’m a little envious of freedom like that.

7 Likes

Like that you are referrimg to your Glowforge as a mere machine. :sunglasses:

Does it need to be level? I would have thought as long as the surface it is on is a flat plane, a slight incline would not have any effect.

1 Like

Ha, yes, I was thinking more of writing from the logistical standpoint, but I am continually in awe of what delights that are posted from the beta testers and new owners… she’s a goddess really. (or god, if you prefer).

2 Likes

There’s some good information in these two topics:

3 Likes

Gosh, I had searched a few weeks ago, perhaps I was searching a totally different set of keywords… Thanks for pointing me to those!

I think I was searching about leveling.

1 Like

I hope you will come visit some of us! I am sure I could get you some local work on your way through and could fire up my basic unit and help, if needed. I am close to the Great.Smoky Mountains and there is another buyer nearby in Gatlinburg. I think @takitus is just over the mountains. An annual shrimp and crab fest ($10 / $5 kids fee) is coming up near Labor day at some good friend’s home in Cosby, TN. Actually, all responsible people are welcome! I provided 26 pounds of crab to about 8 people last year. Advance warning is necessary.

4 Likes

On a sailboat we use a gimble like mount with dampening for cooktop/stove. So it swings with the motion and doesn’t upset the pots.

6 Likes

I would think as long as you keep it from sliding around while moving (straps etc) and put the shipping clips in to keep the gantry and head from moving around while you’re moving, it should be OK. Those are the things that keep it safe while in transit to you, anyway.

4 Likes

Carry a shovel and some leveling blocks for the camper. It doesn’t take too long to learn to read the terrain where you are parking, dig down a little for one wheel and stack the blocks for the wheel on the opposite corner. You want the camper to be level anyway.
I love the idea of a gimble, but I imagine it would be pricey to buy one big enough to hold the GF.

This was an idea that struck me as quite feasible (from the second that @AhnoldZ posted above)

5 Likes

Clips, straps, a few layers of foam…

All these suggestions sound pretty good. One other question: do you have a filter on order, or will you be venting? (In which case something semipermanent out the roof of the camper might be wise)

I did that for 7 years! It was a great way for me and my wife to move where we wanted, put each other through school (again), and save up to buy a house. There’s a lot of sacrifices, but it really is worth it to get where you want to in life (and it’s a lot of fun). If you come through Portland, OR stop by and say hi! If you need any help/advice on RV stuff send me a message. I did a custom solar power system, a dual water heating system, a murphy bed so we could have an office/bedroom, and other crazy stuff.

6 Likes

The company invested a lot of time researching protection to survive shipping, which should be tougher than the RV, so I would be sure to reinstall the track bumper strips that insulate the gantry from bangs/vibration, the screw locks to lock the gantry and the clip to secure the head.

2 Likes

I will certainly be in that area at some point! Big National Parks fan here. I am originally from Maryland, and that shrimp and crab feast sounds to die for! I miss seafood out here in Colorado!

It is my goal to be at Smoky Mountain Giftshow as a vendor next year in Gatlinburg - in November as well.

1 Like

I do have a filter on order, but have a nice window that I will use for venting out the window in the meantime.

I know, so many things to see in this country! I would love to get out to Portland, and will definitely say “Hi.”

1 Like

I do luckily have a/c, that was a great point to make. In CO down on the plains it’s been creeping up inside the trailer to 100 degrees, in the mountains, it’s been much cooler!

1 Like

Hey! Another Colo-Glowster!!!

3 Likes