Remote GF WiFi Push Button

My Glowforge (GF) is located upstairs. I’m usually downstairs, except for the fact when I go up to insert material and manually turn on the GF. I wanted to reduce the number of trips going up and down the stairs. So, I created a remote push button to start the GF job. I used a solenoid instead of a servo. Its held in by strong magnets on the lasered based to hold the magnets and attract the magnets in the solenoid housing/case. I found that 40.2mm gives a nice firm snap-fit to the GF button ring. Almost forgot to mention, there is a soft round rubber clear bumper on the strike plate to sort of shorten the strike distance and soften the strike to the GF button. You can see it in the ‘solenoid press’ video.

AS A DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT URGE FOLKS TO TRY THIS AT HOME. THIS IS MERELY A MAKE I WANTED TO DO. THERE MAY BE RISKS INVOLVED.

11 Likes

Don’t you think a relay is much easier?!

1 Like

Are you referring to a relay to trigger the solenoid?

Yeah relays might turn the glowforge on, but pushing the button will require something like what you made. Other people have done it with more off-the-shelf pushbots, you went whole hog on the custom build, cool.

Previously, for crosslinking purposes:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=remote%20button%20push

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that. Very cool. He used 'Alexa calls, which I made a few things to use over Alexa commands. But, I wanted to make something using a different method and using one’s local WiFi and not expose that to Alexa framework. Next, I will modify my code and add a secure key between the communication.

Plus, it would be nice if Glowforge had 1 or 2 open GPIO for this very solution (HINT, HINT).
If that was the case a relay or microcontroller could be directly connected for a type solution like this. Or some type of python API would be nice too. (HINT, HINT)

Wonder what that’ll look like after the fire?

7 Likes

Hints to Glowforge staff should be sent to support@glowforge.com or opened in a P&S ticket. They don’t read (reliably) MOAG, unfortunately.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I just had a fire, and I was standing right next to the machine.

2 Likes

Understood. Thanks. By the way, what is ‘MOAG’?

Fire? I don’t understand. Could you elaborate?

Made On A Glowforge, this topic. Glowforge staff only guarantees that they read the problems and support section. While they might see it here, P&S is the place to go when you want them to see something while also making your discussion public. If you don’t need other people’s feedback or suggestions, an email to support@glowforge.com is just as good, without the (helpful?) peanut gallery effect.

2 Likes

This idea, while fun, is the antithesis of laser cutter safety. You should not be running jobs remotely unless you don’t care about setting your home or office on fire. Laser cutters should always be attended when in operation.

Also, you could have bought a IoT switch pusher thing. There are a few examples of this on the market for doing things just like you’ve done - adding remote control to an existing switch without replacing the switch with one that’s internet-connected…

But still, you should grab a few beers and some pretzels and go push the button manually and then hang around while the job runs.

6 Likes

Understood. Correction, its not tied to the Internet, its on the Intranet. While I respectfully understand your point of view, read this I posted earlier…
Oh, lol. ok. No problem. Here’s the thing, I have 3d printers(firebox), the GF(hot box) I have a fire detector over the GF and fire detectors over the 3D printer. I also have a camera over each. Along with fire extinguishers. Here’s my point, most technology comes with risk. On my end, I can only try to mitigate that risk. As you put it, some do not stand over every print job. Most accept the risk but put in safety protocols to eliminate the possibility. Just think of cars, motorcycles, grills (propane and charcoal) Risk exists. Its just how we handle that risk.
Thank you for your response.

2 Likes

Stupid idea, beautifully executed.

It’s been discussed enough.

8 Likes

Thanks for the MOAG definition. I should have guess that. I have saw it before. But, the ‘hint’ was just a mini joke. I know that it would be a liability issue for GF to openly suggest remote activation of the GF.

Yeah but opening up their hardware to a little at-your-own-risk shenanigans would be really cool. It’s a good suggestion.

1 Like

No to trigger the start signal…

1 Like

been using a switch bot for awhile now to do just this same thing. SwitchBot Smart Switch Button Pusher - No Wiring, Wireless App or Timer Control, Add SwitchBot Hub Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, HomePod and IFTTT - - Amazon.com

1 Like

That’s pretty cool.