Removing carriage plate - mirror tip

One thing I hear a lot from glowforgers is how nervous they are on removing the carriage plate. Glowforge has a good write up on how to remove the carriage plate and there are other good videos. One trick I do that really helps me is that I use a mirror to get a better view of what I am doing. If you’re like me and seeing the mechanics of something really helps you understand it then you might find a vanity mirror to be helpful. I also use one with on LED frame so it lights up and I can see better. The glowforge is of course off when doing this and so the pocket mirror can be really helpful with adding light.

Note that these images are just for showing the view you can get with the mirror. The belt is still on the pulley in this photo because I was not actually removing the plate at this time. Make sure you read the glowforge instructions and the mirror tip is mainly just helpful when you get to step 5 of actually removing the plate.

Also, for reference, here is the instructions from glowforge on removing the plate:

https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054008834-Replace-the-Carriage-Plate-Belt?mobile_site=true

23 Likes

Great tip!

1 Like