Repetitive item printing

New to the Glowforge, Designed a new project to engrave and cut. How can I set it to print/cut multiple times on the same material?

They are small key chain fobs that we want to print/cut over and over. Each design has 4 steps.

Anyone can help me with this?

2 Likes

Need more info:

• will they remain face-up, or do you have to engrave the backside?
  • are they symmetrical on at least one axis?
  • will you use the same material for all operations?
  • can you post an example of the project; advice may not work, otherwise.

Search in the forum for making jigs for repeated operations. Also for hold-down methods. Hope to hear back from you.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Do you just want to know how to copy the item? Select the item, Ctrl C, Ctrl V (on a PC).

HTH
Martha

3 Likes

Milk Drop

This is the design. I want to print 70 of them at a time.

1 Like

They will be one-sided, not symmetrical, one sheet of proofgrade,

2 Likes

As @marthajackson1970 says, you can copy/paste in the GF window and position the copies as you see fit.

However, at 70 copies in one go its easier and more efficient to lay those out in your original design program.

5 Likes

ekla how do I do that?

1 Like

Open your file in Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator or whatever program you have for designing. Then copy and paste. You will be able to lay out 70 efficiently on a 12 X 20 artboard, but depending on your engrave speeds, you may not be able to use the entire 12 x 20 area. If you copy and paste in the Glowforge interface, the Glowforge will treat each item as a unique item and your project time will be longer.

1 Like

If I copy and paste in Adobe how will the glowforge know the 4 steps for each fob?
sorry for all the questions since I am new.

1 Like

The Glowforge “sees” colors. If you make different elements of your design different colors, they will be treated separately - meaning you can assign different cut/score/engrave settings to each element. Suggestion - if you are engraving and cutting, perform the cuts last in case there is any board warpage that would allow the cut out item to drop lower than the uncut elements.

2 Likes

So I opened your file in Inkscape and duplicated the item. You already have everything separated by color. In the Glowfowge interface, this is what it looks like with three - each element will be performed across all three items, I believe.

2 Likes

You might need to rasterize the file before saving.

1 Like

Which design program are you using?

1 Like

what is Rasterize?

1 Like

I am not using any at this point. Just finding things as I go. going to get Inkskape from the looks of it.

1 Like

Awesome, looks like what I was thinking. !

1 Like

In that case, until you’ve learned some Inkscape basics, copy/paste in the GF window will be most accessible, its just be tedious.

If you search the forum you’ll find lots of Inkscape tips from other users. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you do copy and paste in GF, copy and paste 5 or six then select all of them and copy and paste and it will then paste all 5 so you don’t have to do one at a time…then you’ll have 10 and can copy and paste all 10…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.