Request From My Husband

My husband asked me to make something for a local gun store he spends a lot of time in. I vectorized their logo and came up with this. I used the Inventables light-diffusing lucite, and now wish I’d gone with clear acrylic instead, but he’s very happy with it, and I learned a few things, so it’s all good. :slight_smile:

IMG_2927
IMG_2928

33 Likes

That was my conclusion from trying it: the light guide acrylic is not as good as regular for edge lit stuff.

4 Likes

Your sign looks good, though! :grinning:

1 Like

Looks great.

Sometimes a warm glow can be better than bright with signage.
Up to the individual I reckon.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking to make something similar for somebody that has been helping me a lot lately.

It looks like you engraved on both the front and back side of the acrylic? That was what I was considering doing so that I could get the depth in lighting (and painting in the words too) or am I totally off?

The design looks great and I’m going to adjust my design a bit from what I’ve just learned from you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nicely done.

2 Likes

Excellent job, bet he loved it!

I got some of that Inventables stuff and still haven’t tried it. If it’s not good with edge lighting I’m not sure what I’ll do with it.

3 Likes

The sign turned out great and only YOU know enough to compare it to your own aesthetics, so I’m sure your husband is well pleased.

This is good to know that about the Inventables stuff, as I also have a piece of that that’s been hanging around for quite some time. Now, I just won’t plan on making something that might end up being disappointing.

4 Likes

I like warm white better than cool. It was what I had handy, though. :wink:

1 Like

It’s 1/4" thick. The mountains are engraved on the back – I tried the gradient thing; can’t really tell how successful I was with it, though.

The letters are engraved on the front, and then glued acrylic cutouts of the letters into the engrave for the name of the company. The smaller text was just too small to do the same, but it turned out to look better without, anyway.

I didn’t get as much glow around the letters with the light-diffusing stuff as I got with the acrylic in the Baby Gwendolyn sign, but I still like the 3D effect of the letters. :slight_smile:

The bottom layer of acrylic has a deep engrave in it, and I mushed fairy lights into it and held them down with hot glue. The wood backing sits down in a slot just behind the lights, and the acrylic part of the sign has a slot across the bottom so it basically has “legs” at each end and fits right down on top of the lights.

I had to add the layer of black acrylic on top of the base because the lights were shining out through the teensy space between the sign and the base. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It turned out better that way, though, because that allowed the sign to pressure fit so I didn’t need to try to glue the acrylic to the wood back.

4 Likes

I was afraid you’d done that. Now I’ll have to up my game because of how great it looks LOL

I’ve become attached to that look. Another thing I’ve started doing is using that cheap kid’s craft foam to help brighten things up. I’ll try get a pic of my prototype and post it where you can see it.

So many more things I have to try now. You keep inspiring me.

5 Likes

Awww, thanks! :blush:

3 Likes

Always good to make a project for the spouse! Excellent work all around. I imagine the gunstore was thrilled!

2 Likes

A seriously inspiring design!
Fairy lights, eh? Brilliant! (See what I did there?)

3 Likes

That’s really nice… The floating backlit lettering was a great idea.

1 Like

That’s really cool looking.

2 Likes