Resin bezel ornaments

Here’s some little fun ornaments I made recently. I created the cut files in Illustrator and cut ornament shapes out of PG medium acrylic with about a 1/8" width edge. This resulted in a bezel shape that I used to cast clear resin (UV cured) into. I did it in several layers. Bottom layer is just clear resin, then the next layer had various beads and glitter added to it. Then a top layer of clear. I also added a thin layer of clear to the back to neaten up the look (the first layer was done on a silicon sheet that had texture on it). After all the resin had hardened, I used 24 gauge wire to create hangers for the two ornaments on the right. The one on the left was drilled and an eye pin was glued into the hole.

If you’d like to give it a try, here is the cut file:

ornaments

(Oops, just realized I messed up the stroke colors on that round ornament. The inside should be blue and the outside black. Or reverse the colors on the other two.)

37 Likes

Oh the little ornament one is just adorable with the wire wrapping around the top to make that…thing…that comes on ornaments. ROFL! Great job and very creative! :grinning::smile:

2 Likes

Love to see new techniques like this. Really nice trick!

2 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Really nice!
I never thought of incorporating objects in a piece with that resin. :sunglasses:
may I ask what you tinted the resin with?

1 Like

It’s clear resin, but the one on the left has some green mica powder swirled around in it.

1 Like

I’ll bet the ‘pearl’ I have left over from my car paint job would work well!:crazy_face:

1 Like

Yep! You could even use sparkly eye shadow!

1 Like

Hehe, so resourceful you are. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It occurs to me, because the resin is light cured, it limits the depth and transparency. Is that your experience?
I mean you are limited in how dense you could mix a pigment.

1 Like

I love all of the ornament ideas that are popping up around the forum, but this is my favorite so far.

Feeling a little jealous that I have to wait till next year to try my own twist on some of these techniques. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure you are right about that although I haven’t experimented enough to know how much is too much.

Awwwww, I wish you had your unit now, too.

1 Like

You make some of the coolest things! I love how you mix mediums and processes together. Very sweet!

2 Likes

Speechless! These are gorgeous - what an awesome idea to incorporate resin casting.