Retirement coasters

I was asked to make coasters for a colleague’s retirement. he has a very unique signature, which is what we used. these are made out of 1/4" padauk with cork backing. the stand is padauk veneer on green glass base (also w/cork backing) with sides made of stacked 1/4" padauk (from scraps off of the coaster board). So… much… sanding… on those sides to get the char off. hate sanding inside curves.

37 Likes

I was just being tempted by a spindle sander the other day for that reason. Just don’t have the room or dust management equipment to do it.

Best option I have at this point is a dremel and that’s slow.

12 Likes

i couldn’t get it in time to use for this (shipping it out today), but i ordered sanding spindles that go on your drill. drill goes in vice, poor man’s spindle sander. just don’t have room for another tool like a full spindle sander (even though i’d love one).

9 Likes

Got a product url? I have a corded drill and a vise, never considered that.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFKTD4N/

14 Likes

Amazing

7 Likes

I hate sanding too but your efforts really show through here. These are very elegant!

6 Likes

I still feel like its a superpower to be able to produce customized gifts like that with comparative ease. Nice work!
My brother-in-law has a signature that is essentially an X the straight line after it. More than once, the waiter chased us down in the parking lot and asked to see his driver’s license. “Well… Ok”…
Nice material choice. :star_struck:

10 Likes

Gorgeous work inspite the suffering :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s beautiful! Isn’t padauk the most gorgeous wood. I imagine you have a fine layer of glowing orange dust on everything in that room :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Beautiful gift.

5 Likes

Padauk is such a luxurious wood. They came out incredibly elegant! I think you work with a bunch of artists so they are probably not easy to impress. This project should do it!

7 Likes

Your efforts really paid off. A beautiful gift!

4 Likes

Beautiful! We should all find ways to practice sanding avoidance. Can’t we grow wood in a lab that doesn’t need sanding?

5 Likes

well, if it was just sanding the rough surface off, i wouldn’t have minded as much. but in this case, it was sanding the edge char off of the stacked edges. and making sure it was smooth like one surface across the stacked pieces. the outside i could use my little 1" belt sander for the bulk of the char/edge smoothing and hand sand the finish. that inside edge, tho…

3 Likes

I did not know these existed; thanks for the link!

1 Like

Nice. I love the holder.

1 Like

Would never have guessed this was a signature. Was trying to figure out the logo or meaning before I read your post. They are so pretty.

3 Likes

if you knew his name, you’d still be confused. i can’t find anything of his name in there. but it’s sure interesting and unique.

3 Likes

I didn’t use to mind sanding, kind of zen and all. But at 63, my wrist joints are complaining to the point I can’t sleep. Thanks for the spindle tip. Your pieces look beautiful and I bet they feel even better. I just love the feel of well sanded wood.

2 Likes