Retirement Frame

My first project! A lot of wood and mistakes but I think I got it. Made a frame for my co worker who retired from our Company. All the little cutouts pertain to his path through the years.

I just can’t get the glue right. Any pointers on how to better handle glue!?! I read some use 3m double adhesive sheets, but seems time consuming to peel.

33 Likes

What a fantastic, personal tribute! He has to be thrilled with it.

As far as glue, I use cyanoacrylate glues (“Superglue”) a lot. I’ve been using this stuff and like it a lot:

Rockler Cyanoacrylate Quick-Set Medium Adhesive, 4.5 oz Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I9UMQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ztYAFbTTGC5T4

7 Likes

As a first project, you totally nailed it! I love all the color and personalized bits, I bet the retiree will be touched to tears!

Absolutely stunning, regardless of the fiddly glue bits. Besides, you know what fail stands for? First Attempt In Learning, and you have many more ahead of you, judging by this project :star_struck:

7 Likes

I like a project that tells a story. Nice work!

4 Likes

I love the time and effort that went into this!

3 Likes

This is amazing. What did you use to color it?

2 Likes

Thanks! I used Arteza acrylic markers. Top coat with Minwax Polyurethane.

2 Likes

That is a really beautiful piece! I use Gorilla Super Glue on all my projects. Doesn’t take a lot and dries clear. You definitely have to be quick with it though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. I’m going to try it.

Just a general note about using CA - it depends on good contact between the mating surfaces. It’s not very strong itself, unlike - for example - epoxy resins.

Not saying it’s not a good choice, just make sure there is good contact between the parts.

6 Likes

What would you use? I tried a wood glue not realizing it expands! By the time I put it all together and recutting, and repainting, I was so over it. Than, I saw the glue squished out! Auughh! I gave it to him anyways like that and he didn’t mind, he just put it in a shadow box which you can’t even see it.

But for future projects, especially those that I can sell, what would work best? Also, do you know what kinda glue I could use for acrylic on wood? Thank you!

1 Like

As I said, CA is fine, as long as you have good contact area on the mating surfaces between the parts.

Wood glue doesn’t expand, but I suspect that was polyurethane adhesive such as “Gorilla Glue” which is often used in place of wood glue, but is nothing like wood glue. Real wood glue has the same requirement for good contact area.

I generally use wood glue (or white glue) for small wood parts, chipboard, etc. For acrylic-wood, I would use epoxy resin.

3 Likes

It is obvious that you wanted to make a great tribute to a successful career, and you did. Nice job.

2 Likes

You did a great job on that. He will love it.

2 Likes

Yes, it was Gorilla glue! Thank you for your help. I appreciate a lot.

2 Likes

An excellent first project! Glue is the hardest part of a project.

He had to be thrilled to receive such a thoughtful gift! Very nice!

4 Likes

As a retired pilot, I’d say that if someone had made this for me, I’d be over the moon! You did really well. Nice, nice work.

2 Likes