Retirement gift and decision making device

A word cloud of activities to do in retirement engraved on slate. Rubbed food grade mineral oil and let it absorb overnight. Settings are here https://community.glowforge.com/t/settings-for-engraving-on-slate/10034

If your retirement is not planned out day to day/hour to hour (no idea why you would want to put yourself thru a “job” again :slight_smile: ), close your eyes and place finger on the board. Do what the word you touch says. Be adventurous. :laughing:

1. Fonts selected reflect activity (cruise is Nautica, learn is Sans Forgetica, movies is Broadway, etc.)

2. This was made for my colleague who loves golf so GOLF is obviously at the center, but things like Knit and Cook, which may not be his favorite activity, are close enough to bump up the risk. :rofl:

27 Likes

Love this!!!

You forgot SLEEP

6 Likes

Dang, yes I forgot sleep. Guess it would fall under chill/relax? or I can add it. Thank you!

3 Likes

Engrave bigger so it stands out

could you do it at the bottom?

2 Likes

To be fair, most folks don’t need assistance deciding to sleep! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Nap! “Sleep” is general and everyone does it. Retired people get to take naps!

5 Likes

So cute!!

3 Likes

Think every day is Saturday and you cannot go wrong.

One thing I did notice was how some people had their entire life embedded in their work. They had no exterior hobby or pastime and several returned to work just for something to do (and one guy because his wife cashed out the retirement and blew it on ‘stuff’ - broke makes you desperate).

I have cautioned a lot of people to find a hobby or pastime before retirement to avoid this. Surprisingly, many had never given it any thought, so I feel like that was time well spent.

Regardless, a round 2 it selection board looks like a grand idea.
It is another Saturday, what am I going to do today…

8 Likes

I am about 20 years from retirement (hopefully) and having a hobby/Glowforge keeps me sane. :grinning:

4 Likes

Naps it is then. LoL

2 Likes

Love this! I am semi-retiring in September, and I am so excited to have more time to Forge!

5 Likes

Word cloud is a great idea for a retirement gift—I will have to remember this!

5 Likes

Knowing someone well helps designing a word cloud of their interests. But even asking colleagues to guess what interests a person could have is insightful (and surprising LoL; e.g., hunting was replaced with knitting by consensus).

3 Likes

Fun! It’s a sweet gift.

3 Likes

Naps with cats are best. My cat makes sure I nap in the afternoon–he leads me to the bed and jumps up, then moves so I can lie down.

@Yogi_Bear I wish there had been something like this when I retired. I have lots of hobbies; I just can’t decide which one I want to do.

“Mowing” would be in tiny type in a corner.

5 Likes

Not to mention that you never know WHAT day it is. I’m SO confused!

4 Likes

Excellent idea for a retirement gift.

3 Likes