Retirement Plaque/Lazy Susan

My battle buddy called me up again to ask for another plaque. This one HUGE (26 inches across) retirement one for their Battalion CSM with a lazy susan center.

Was a heck of a major undertaking, but they’re happy with it (and thankfully I managed to ship it without damage). The two squares are insets for their Brigade and Battalion coins.

32 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

I really like the wood choice and grain patterns.

2 Likes

Thank you! I had to work with my size limitations, so I had to find logical ways to break things up that didn’t just look arbitrary.

Outer woods are Beech and Cherry with Walnut edge and underlayment. Center is Curly Maple. Inlay is Yellowheart, Walnut, Bloodwood, Maple, and Padauk.

3 Likes

Really well done. You did a great job of designing for the size limits and the inlays look sharp.

2 Likes

Oh that’s lovely! I’m a huge fan of lazy susan coffee tables but none of mine have been quite so fancy :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s some very nice inlay you’ve got going there.

2 Likes

It’s just lovely. And, it has a lazy susan center? Wonderful gift.

2 Likes

Great work and I love the choice of woods. Can I ask what purpose the lazy susan serves? Is turning just a fun design element or did they need it to turn for some reason?

3 Likes

Fun! ANd the lazy Susan is sort of a different platform. Interesting idea!

2 Likes

Very nice, beautiful to see all the different sorts of wood inlays!

2 Likes

The inlays look great!! Such beautiful wood choices.

1 Like

As a retired Army officer who has my share of wood plaques, I want to thank you for making such an epic memento. I’d have been thrilled to receive something like this!

1 Like

Just a design element as far as I can tell. It was requested. If I had been left to design it on my own, whichever part held the coin inserts would rotate, so you could turn it to see any additional coins you put on it.

1 Like

Having been an Army Officer myself, it seems the least I can do to give people who’ve spent 35 years in service something more than the standard stuff!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s fun to do, but also a challenge.

1 Like

OK, I feel better then. I thought it might be about seeing the coins or something, but I couldn’t figure out how it would work because I’d think the outside should spin, not the inside. But it’s does add a cool and unexpected element.

1 Like

It really should be the outside (or the coins should be inside), but since it was specifically requested… ::shrugs::

1 Like