Retro military control panel for exhaust fan

Holy Crap, that looks amazing! Nice work!

1 Like

Wow, this really is such a great build, Brotron! The details are spot on! I used to work on old Sikorsky S64 Skycranes, and they used the same style panels. And as markevans36301 pointed out, the only difference was the use of slotted camlocks.
I donā€™t know if it would save a lot of time, but we would use these paint sticks to fill in the letteringā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/Markal-83420-Paintstik-Solid-Marker/dp/B004N84BKA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517864703&sr=8-4&keywords=markal+paint+stick&dpID=41kZNajEHaL&preST=SX342_QL70&dpSrc=srch

If you were to paint the panel flat black, then fill in the markings with the paint stick, you wipe away the excess and you are good to go!

3 Likes

I have used that trick many times for (non-commercial) typeface use! Love it. Easier than installing it if itā€™s just a word or phrase.

1 Like

Superb build Brotron! Thanks for the finishing details, and especially for cleaning up the TTF font file.

1 Like

Those paint sticks are kind of cool. I can see how that would work since they donā€™t dry. Did the lines get all grimy with dirt after a while?

1 Like

This is awesome and definitely something I will attempt when my GF arrives. I have some of the old, original, equipment from planes that I will use eventually.

1 Like

Outstanding. Great job

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing. Very well done!
I built a home flight simulator with many laser cut panels using my Glowforge and this seems like a better technique than I was using. Can you explain more of how you did the white lettering? it seems that you covered the black painted panel. But Iā€™m confused by how you painted the letters so perfectly. Did you cut a pass of letters only as a guide to paint through?

Thanks, and you are correct, I do a separate engrave pass. I just photo documented a rundown here Some other folks had asked earlier, so I was already woking on a new build. Hope itā€™s clear.

2 Likes

They dry after about 12 hours or so. And yeah, they turn that same dingy cream color after a while. You nailed it!